Getting Rid of Fruit Flies

We have fruit flies (I think) all over the house. How do I get rid of them without using ugly fly paper?

By Jeannie from Hickory, NC

Answers:

Getting Rid of Fruit Flies

If they're fruit flies, getting rid of the smell of ripe or rotting food should stop their interest in your property. It'll also get rid of their source of food, so the existing flies will eventually die out. Once I got rid of a box of over-ripe oranges, the fruit flies in my apartment completely disappeared.

You can also spray your walls, doors, etc. with insect repellent, which will either knock them out or force them to leave. The smell is very irritating to them and it's not too bad for humans. Make sure to avoid spraying on certain plastics and woods though.

Or try one of the vinegar traps mentioned on this site. (09/24/2010)

By bryguyf69

Getting Rid of Fruit Flies

They love wine and beer! Put a little in a saucer and cover it with plastic wrap. Poke a couple of holes in the wrap and those little buggers will get trapped in there! In the meantime, get rid of the source of your fruit flies. Good Luck! (09/25/2010)

By diddle1999

Getting Rid of Fruit Flies

I finally found something that works for us! Essential oils. I use 3 drops each of Cinnamon, Cedarwood, and Citronella in an oil diffuser. That takes care of flies and mosquitoes too! (09/25/2010)

By oldlinda

Getting Rid of Fruit Flies

When I had some fruit flies in my kitchen because of some peaches, I followed a tip that someone else had posted. I put a little cider vinegar in a small ramekin size container near the peaches and I had no further problem with the flies. But of course, the quickest way is to get rid of the reason why the fruit flies are showing up. I realize sometimes that they show up even if the fruit isn't on the way out, so then you use one of these tips. Good Luck. (09/25/2010)

By Indianone

Getting Rid of Fruit Flies, Fruit Fly on Apple
Getting Rid of Fruit Flies
House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Fly paper strips hanging by clothes pins.
Making Fly Paper
🎉
🎄