Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats

I put a layer of sand on top of my potted plants to get rid of gnats, but have been seeing a decline in the health of my plants. Could it be from the sand? Can anyone answer or suggest a remedy please?

By Carole from Seattle, WA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats

Sand most commonly found would be from the edges oceans and seas, whether they come from today's coasts or an inland quarry that was the "beach" millions of years ago, will contain salt. Sand you need to use for your purpose would need to be cleansed of all salts, it should state on the package about being salt free.

Lar (02/03/2011)

By larflu

Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats

A technique that has worked wonders for me is to keep a small pot of petunias near infected plants. The gnats seem to be attracted to petunias like moths to a flame. And when the little buggers land on the sticky petunia leaves, their feet get stuck and they die. My petunias have about a hundred dead gnats stuck to them, kinda gross, but effective and smells way nicer than vinegar. :-) (02/09/2011)

By Shirahama

Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats

I read somewhere that putting garlic cloves on top of the soil will get rid of the gnats. (02/09/2011)

By ashleybunkin

woman caring for a peace plant
Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Photo of a toe with toenail fungus.
Getting Rid of Toenail Fungus
🎉
🎄