Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

My boyfriend lives on the river and we are having a problem with gardener snakes. We have sealed holes under the sink and everywhere else one would not be okay. Now we are up to 7, I am ready to no longer stay here. Any suggestions?

By Connie

Garter snakes are part of the natural environment, especially near a river, lake, etc. They, too, have a problem-with humans moving into the territory that they have been living in for millions of years before humans.

My husband is a biologist and reptile specialist and I am still not fond of snakes, after many years. However, garter snakes are some of the nicest and easiest snakes to live near. They are small and non-venomous, love to eat mice (a plus in my book!), worms, frogs, etc.

They like small holes and cracks for security, which is why you find them in houses. If you live in an older house, there are many holes and cracks for the garters so you will find them occasionally. Please do not hurt them-put them into a box and simply move them outside to a grassy or woodsy area.

I hope that you can find a way to live with garter snakes.

Garter snakes won't harm you. The little ones eat crickets and large insects. The large ones eat mice. There are fewer large adult garter snakes since they themselves are prey to other animals such as raccoons and large birds.

The best way to keep them out of your house is probably to repair or replace all window and door screens, and close and fill holes where they are getting in. If the place you're living in has that many openings to the outside world, I don't really blame you for wanting to move.

Anonymous

All you have to do is get few barn cats. I mean outside cats the ones that live outside. We live in Va when we moved in this mobile home we had so much snakes. All kind of snakes even copper head also garden snakes some people say they don't live together that's not true. We also had mice problem. Not anymore we got what I call wild cats. I feed them once a day. But I don't see snakes anymore. I've seen how they catch and eat snakes grous.

Ive been using a snake poison. Seems to work somewhat well. I did find a bush that seemed to be a hot spot for them, after digging it out and setting fire to the roots I think I cleared the den out. If you find holes, I recommend using snake stopper or again if its not in a area where you care about the lawn, Ive been told to pour down gasoline, or your local exterminator can pry lead you in the right direction. I do have an outdoor cat, but still seem to find plenty of snakes. Honestly, you may have to take a shovel and go hunting. See if you can find where they like to hide and kill as many as you can. Start getting rid of any over brush, low bushes, or railroad ties. I found a bunch in the rot holes in railroad ties, just take them out and burn them. Don't feel bad for killing these pests, who cares that they don't harm humans, I don't like them, and im sure as hell not going to pick them up and move them....

Anonymous

yes i know they won't harm you but i don't want them in my yard i am scared of snakes no matter how big or small they are i hate them i would rather have crickets and bugs and mice than a snake so how do you get rid of them?

Get a piece of tire and burn it !

The snakes can not stand the smell !!!

Try using Moth balls. My parents live out in the country and every spring as the days become warmer these Garter Snake's become more active and leave their dens. Just try it out, it might just do some good...