Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

We have garden snakes. I am so scared of them and have seen so many of them that by now I don't want to be nice anymore and want them killed. We already built a porch in front of the house to avoid them, but this is a sunny area and they like to be around. I got used to them in the garden, but yesterday I found one inside the porch and I am ready to move. Help anyone? I am scared to death.

Hardiness Zone: 7b

By Ravine House from Toronto, ON

Answers:

Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

Go to your local garden center and ask for some sulfur. Then, spread it by hand (cannot use spreader as it is too sticky) around your porch, and around the perimeter of your yard if it's not too big. At any rate, spread it in a line around anywhere you will be. For some reason, snakes won't cross sulfur. Tried and true! Good luck and God bless you. (06/25/2009)

By tedsmom

Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

Rat Terriers love snakes. Get a cat. Move to Ireland (just kidding). Work on getting over your phobia. Garter snakes are "good" snakes. Good luck!

MykalA (06/25/2009)

By MykalA

Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

I live in FL., and we have lots of snakes here. I have a fear of them also so I understand where you're coming from. It doesn't help when people tell you to get over your phobia. Snakes, spiders, fear of the dark, and thunder and lightning are the 4 biggest fears. My Dr. told me so.

Anyway, you can buy a product called Snake-a-Way. You sprinkle it around the area where you've seen them. For whatever reason they don't like the stuff and will leave. It smells just like mothballs, but it must have something more in it. I tried the mothball thing and walked outside only to find this huge black snake slithering right over the mothballs!

Once again, don't let anybody tell you to "get over it". I myself can't wait until I can move from FL. Wherever I go, it's going to be a condo with no yards to take care of. (06/25/2009)

By lovethosehounds

Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

I understand your fear because snakes can be startling with their fast movements, and unexpected presence. After your initial fright it is important to think rationally though. Your property will be in worse shape without the snakes than with them. They are there for a reason. They destroy pests that are more harmful such as rats and other rodents. They help in the balance of nature. By all means use deterrents such as Snake Away, but please don't kill them, they mean you no harm and are actually beneficial. (06/25/2009)

By merlene

A garter snake in grass.
Getting Rid of Garter Snakes
Florida pine snake
Identifying Florida Snakes
Lace Garter Belt
Buying a Garter Belt
A Non-Poisonous Garter Snake.
Identifying Non-Poisonous Snakes
Snake coiled in an evergreen tree.
Getting Rid of Snakes
🎉
🎄