Getting Rid of Gnats

I have a horrible problem with gnats in my house! We left food out one day (out of laziness) and ended up with a terrible outcome. Now there are hundreds of these annoying little pests everywhere. I'm not positive if they're fruit flies, gnats, or drain gnats, etc. I've tried cider vinegar and a few other things that work a little bit, but they definitely have not gotten rid of them.

I never noticed any in my drains, but I poured vinegar followed by baking soda in them and I still haven't noticed any in them. They are so horrible that I can't even eat or cook inside my house anymore. Like I said, I've tried several things, but nothing is working. Can someone please help me! Please I'm desperate.

By Katrina from TX

Getting Rid of Gnats

I have heard a small amount of cheap red wine in a shallow container will do it. They love it! I use a mixture of apple cider vinegar, a few drops of liquid dish soap, and a spoonful of sugar mixed up in a shallow container. They will dive right in. (07/24/2010)

By MartyD

Getting Rid of Gnats

Hey everyone, I found a proven method to get rid of gnats, once and for all.

1. Pour ammonia down every one of your drains, and immediately put the stoppers in them, leave them in overnight. Make sure you don't run any water down those drains after you have put in the ammonia. Gnats lay their eggs in the drains of your sinks and tubs.

2. Make sure you don't leave any trash out over night. Take out all garbage every night. Ladies: if you have bathroom trash with any feminine products disposed of in there, you must take out the trash daily. It's a great idea to buy a garbage can with a lid. Also, if you have garbage in the can, pour a little ammonia over the garbage, this helps. They hate that smell.

3. Do not leave wet towels laying around. They love wetness of any kind. Also, it's a good idea to cover your wet dishes drying in the drain board with a dry bath towel. Remember: Standing water is a no, no!

4. Once you have done these things, go to Home Depot and by a product called EcoSmart flying insect spray. It is safe for kids and pets and uses organic products like peppermint and cinnamon oil. It smells good and it kills the gnats.

**Now, if you have a gnat problem that is really bad, once you have gone through steps 1-4, I suggest using a fogger to kill all the gnats still flying around. This is a good way to kill them quickly. Please be safe when doing this and follow instructions on the fogger to a T.

Hope this helps, it worked for me!

By Cecegirl

Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
woman caring for a peace plant
Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
Insect Repellant
Repelling Gnats Outside
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box