Getting Rid of Gnats

I am being inundated with gnats, house flies, and other pests, I don't know what they all are. I have tried apple cider vinegar, with soap and sugar, fly traps, wine bottles. Can someone tell me how I can get rid of them. I have killed a bunch but they keep coming. Thanks for your help.

Billie from Sharpsburg, GA

Getting Rid of Gnats

I went through this same problem recently - couple of tips that will help.

1. When you're not using your kitchen/bathroom sinks, put stoppers in the drains. This cuts off their water supply and their access - many of the gnats we had were coming in through the pipes.

2. Find a sweet wine - Riesling worked best for me - put some in a wine glass and just leave it sitting where ever you are having trouble. It takes some time, but eventually the sweetness draws them and ultimately they drowned. I changed my wine every couple of days - this helped a lot.

3. If you have pets - pick up and clean their bowls immediately after they eat. This is another bug food supply that I didn't consider until someone told me about it.

4. Then there's the obvious remedies - make sure your trash cans are all closed & sealed. Immediately put food away that is not being used and keep dry goods in Ziploc bags to limit access.

These are not foolproof and no single item will fix the problem. Just some helpful hints that might start to lower the number of invaders you're seeing.

Hope this helps! (07/19/2006)

By Donna

Getting Rid of Gnats ... ZAP 'em

Hi, place a banana peel or some sweet skins in your Microwave. Leave the door open. After about 30 minutes check to see if the gnats found it. Then SHUT the door and Zap them. Hey, don't laugh, it really works!! The advice about washing the bananas when you bring them home is very good. It stops the gnats from hatching. (07/19/2006)

By Dorie

Getting Rid of Gnats

I heard if u use peppermint oil along the bottom of your walls or where u see them coming in from will stop them. Hope this helps. (07/21/2006)

By Elizabeth

Getting Rid of Gnats

If one can tolerate the odors of garlic in the kitchen, one should be able to tolerate the spray of garlic water(boil whole garlic pods in 1 cup of water 15 min.), cool and add 1/4 tablespoon Lemon Joy or Lemon OIL. This seems to work for a number of pests, and I'll bet it will be the same for the gnats!
They'll hide as far from it as possible and die of starvation! (07/22/2006)

By lyndagayle62

getting rid of gnats only in my bathroom

I have a problem with gnats but they are only in my bathroom and Im not understanding why. The bathroom is always kept clean and I don't know where they are coming from. They are more around in the mornings and every time I go in there there are dead on the walls, floors etc... please help (08/11/2006)

By Sisa

Getting Rid of Gnats

I tried everything everyone has suggested. But in the end the best thing for my kitchen was a pan with tomato sauce and a vacuum with a hose. Within 5 minutes the gnats went to the pan and I was standing by to suck them up. In ten minutes I have gotten somewhere around 25.~K. Weaver (08/16/2006)

By Kristen

Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
woman caring for a peace plant
Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
Insect Repellant
Repelling Gnats Outside
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box