Getting Rid of Gnats on Plants

My mom told me to mix water, dish soap and lemon juice into a spray bottle and spray my plant's leaves, top and bottom, and also water them with this mixture to get rid of gnats and/or fruit spiders. I love my plants and many of them are too large or have very long vines to re-pot them to help solve the problem since both my husband and I both have seriously bad back problems.

Do you think it will hurt my plants? I love my plants, each one has either been a present from my husband on a special occasion or gifts from our daughter on mother's day or birthdays so to lose one would feel almost unbearable. Please tell me if this will work, I am hoping it will as we are also Retired Air Force and money is tight. Thanks for helping and God Bless.

By MoonLitBelle from Las Vegas, NV

Answers

Best Answer

Make sure that your dish soap is one of the very mildest-in other words, don't use anything marked 'concentrated grease relief', or as containing bleach or OxyClean type stuff.

Ivory dishwashing soap was the best thing, we Master Gardeners (university extension service training, repaid by doing volunteer work in the community) used it for years as a safe pesticide (mixed with water) but then the company changed it's formula, and now I'm not sure if it's still safe.

If your soap is VERY mild, go ahead and try the homemade pesticide on a weed, lol, and see what happens. If it's still alive in four or five days you are probably safe to try the home mix on your more precious plants.

Spraying a houseplant with gnats.
Gnats on Houseplants
Home and Garden Pest Control GnatsJuly 29, 2011
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
woman caring for a peace plant
Getting Rid of Fungus Gnats
Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Diaper Pail
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
Getting Rid of Gnats in a Litter Box
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 20, 2017 at 4:20:40 AM on 10.0.2.145 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.