Getting Rid of Mange in the House

What do I need to do to the house to get rid of mange? I was advised to throw out all bedding and I did throw out the dog's bed but washed the blankets, etc in bleach and hot water. Do I have to steam clean carpets?

Susan from MI

Answers:

Getting Rid of Mange in the House

Yes, steam clean your carpets, rugs, etc. Make sure you wash any of the animals toys, bedding, crate, you name it. If this is not done, then the mites can hide and re-appear and even piggyback on humans. (12/17/2008)

By schubunny

Getting Rid of Mange in the House

Years ago we got a puppy from a pet store. He soon started scratching himself a lot. I tried different sprays, etc. I finally took him back to pet store and they "dipped" him in some solution to get rid of the mange. It worked. So, I think you have to treat your dog first, so there are no more mites accumulating on your carpet and furniture. (12/21/2008)

By WIsgal

Getting Rid of Mange in the House

You might try sprinkling borax on your carpeting and then vacuuming it up. (12/21/2008)

By pigeon toes

Getting Rid of Mange in the House

It depends on the type of mange. If you are dealing with sarcoptic mange (read - scabies), then it is best to keep the pet isolated in an area you can bleach down. Wash all bedding, blankets, and toys in HOT water with bleach. This condition is contagious to you, so take precautions. If you have other animals in the house, separate them immediately. If your pet has demodex mange, then that is not contagious. This is the type you generally see with puppies. (12/25/2008)

By Amy