I'm not used to living in the country with all these critters and bugs invading my house! EEEEK!
Dee from Keene, KY
I had mice last year. I bought steel wool pads from Home Depot (the kind you buy to take off paint). I put them in all the holes I could find. Problem solved, no more mice. This was a suggestion from a coworker and it worked. The mice wouldn't go near the steel wool pads and moved on. I pushed them into the holes so you really couldn't see them either. (07/31/2007)
A female cat! They are the best mousers. (07/31/2007)
By Mary Ann.
We lived out in the country and I HATE mice. I purchased a product called RIDDEX. This device plugs into the wall - No need for a cat or poison or dealing with getting rid of dead mice - YUK! (That is hubby's job)
The RIDDEX works like this:
this is from: https://www.tvgoods.com/carts/riddex/index.php
"Introducing the Riddex Pro Digital Pest Repeller. Just plug in the Riddex Pro and it starts paying for itself! Riddex Pro turns the wiring in your house into an invisible pest repellent force field. Using patented Digital Pulse Technology, and powered by a Motorola Freescale Microprocessor, the Riddex Pro creates an irritating environment for pests inside your walls, chasing them away from your house. Pests are not killed! "
"Save thousands of dollars on pest control! A single Riddex Pro unit covers an entire level of a typical home. And, it's safe for children, pets, and electronics. Laboratory tests have proven that Riddex Pro REALLY WORKS! "
I know friends who have used the cheaper models from K-Mart, etc. but with no luck. For the 6 years we lived in the country - next to a cattle farm - we never had 1 mouse. I would not be without them.
I have read many times to prevent having problems with mice is to use Irish Spring bar soap, cut up and scattered. I have personally never tried this but my friend's son used to have problems with mice getting into his car. He left the soap in his car and there doesn't seem to be a problem anymore. (08/01/2007)
Mothballs. Every animal HATES the smell of mothballs. Put it under your trailer, in drawers, etc. The mice will LEAVE your home and go somewhere else.
I hope that helps!
Misty :) (08/01/2007)
I have tried different methods, but my method of choice is D-Con mouse and rat bait. I keep it out all year long as I also live in the country. You will notice field mice like to come inside once the weather starts to cool in the fall. Be well prepared.
Best of luck, (08/01/2007)
By Carol in PA
From Readers Digest:
Repel mice from garage or shed
Don't let mice spend their winter vacation in your garage. Place a few mothballs around the garage, and the mice will seek other quarters. To keep mice out of your potting shed, put the mothballs around the base of wrapped or covered plants.
See the link for more uses for moth balls.
:) Misty (08/01/2007)
Remember anywhere a mouse can go, a snake can go. (08/02/2007)
We have a large warehouse thrift store with an upstairs storage. When I went to work there the mouse problem was really terrible. The store even smelled like mice. I had heard about the bounce dryer sheets so went and got two boxes. We put one every 3 feet inside and around the 4 walls. In just a few days the mice were gone. That has been about 8 months ago. Guess its about time to put new sheets out again. It really really works great. Forget the poisons and sticky traps. This is the ultimate in mouse prevention. (08/05/2007)
I use a combination of Peppermint oil - I buy it at the health food store and sticky traps. Soak some cotton balls in the peppermint oil and place them in ziploc baggies. Poke small holes in the bags with a toothpick and place them in areas where you have problems. Place the sticky traps along the wall in dark areas, corners under cabinets, etc. If your problem is with rats, tie some string to the trap and then tie the other end to something so they can't run away with the trap. (08/13/2007)
Mice can invoke quite the emotions as evidenced by some of your thoughts here.
A couple of things. Females don't have litters once per month & babies take a little longer than a month to mature & have their own. Mice DO swim & your drowning technique may mean a mouse would be treading water for some 7 hours before it drowns from exhaustion. Quick and painless is best & I would say a mouse trap would fit the bill.T he new 'victor' traps sold at Lowes etc. have expanded triggers & just a drop of vanilla extract or a small cottonball will entice the mouse. Trap needs to go against the wall as mice can't see well and use their whiskers to feel along walls.Trigger end pointed to wall and you have your best shot.Also-If dead mice is not your thing, you can get a 'ketch-all' trap which is a wind up trap that simply catches the mouse alive and you can take him out into a field and release him. Baits work very well but care should be taken when you use it Probably fine for your crawl space. Steel wool is great for sealing up any small holes they may use to enter. Mice produce about 150 droppings per day and you don't want to know how much they widdle. Well if you do just shine a black light on your counter tops or near droppings. You won't like what you see. In other words-the quicker the better in getting rid of this pest and clean,clean,clean.
By Dutch 1962
Peppermint oil on cotton balls stuffed into the holes where they hide. Also baking soda sprinkled near openings and along counters, they don't like it. This caused them to move to my neighbors-ha! I also steel wool, expanding foam to block holes (also energy saving) and I use the little victor humane traps. They like peanut butter and the bait to be fresh. We've had to use a quarter as a counterweight for the bigger ones. We then just take them a few blocks away and let them go. They look for food, water and safety. I also used to loan our cat to a friend once a week as a deterrent. (09/23/2007)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!