Getting Rid of Mice

How do I keep mice out of a house and then kill them when they get in, without using poisons that when the mice die the smell is so bad for a few days.

By Nana from Greensboro, NC

Answers:

Getting Rid of Mice

I suppose you don't like cats? It is the best way I know. There is nothing a cat loves more than hunting and killing mice. (08/24/2010)

By Ann Parker

Getting Rid of Mice

You need to do a few things:

1. Snap traps will effectively kill the rodents so that they don't return, period. Because so many people put out poison, a mouse with a belly full will kill the cat that eats it.

2. Find the holes where they are coming in. A mouse can squeeze into any opening 1/4 of an inch and larger. Once you find a hole fill it with chalk and steel wool. Mice are territorial, so once you have sealed things up you won't have to deal with a re-infestation for awhile.

3. Clean house. That means all your shelves and drawers, not just the kitchen needs to be cleaned. Mice will hold up where ever they find food and shelter. If that means chewing their way into under bed blanket storage, into toys on the top shelf, burrowing into the linen closet bed sheets, or making a nice nest in the back of where the pots and pans are stored; they will find a way. Use bleach solution for your clean up. Ammonia based cleaning solutions will not completely clear the mouse scent. You want to communicate to them that they are not welcome.
Good luck. Been there. Hated it. (08/24/2010)

By Beccaj23

Getting Rid of Mice

A few winters ago we had a ton of mice. We bought those glue mice traps and they worked well. I placed a small piece of cracker in the middle of the glue trap so the mouse would walk to get it-then promptly got stuck! We were going through so many traps though so we ended up pulling the mice off so we could re-use the traps.

Good luck to you! (08/24/2010)

By LisaE2

Getting Rid of Mice

Get a cat. Even if they don't kill mice, mice will leave. Several years ago, I didn't have a cat. Within a week, I caught 26 mice with wooden traps baited with peanut butter. You could sit several rooms away from where the traps were and hear them go off! I even caught four mice in one trap at once. Last year I was without a cat again. We got a kitten, and caught mice with wooden traps with peanut butter and fed the mice to Silver. He would run to the kitchen when he heard a trap spring anticipating the fresh kill! (08/24/2010)

By angel1954

Getting Rid of Mice

I am in a situation now that mice are not problem. When I did have to catch them, I used the standard snap mouse trap. My "bait" was a dab of peanut butter with a small piece of uncooked spaghetti sticking out of it. The mice would press on the peanut butter to get the pasta and boom, they were caught. I once caught two mice side by side in one trap. (08/24/2010)

By knitter926

Getting Rid of Mice

Buy the electronic rodent repellers. They are relatively inexpensive and you plug them into every room, you must keep the outlets clear so the sound emissions will be heard by any rodent nearby. They work amazingly well, I love them. (08/26/2010)

By yoder178

Getting Rid of Mice

I have always had a cat, but she died a few months ago. I never saw her catch a mouse, but I also never saw any mice. A week and a half ago I discovered there were mice. I have 5 ultrasonic repellers in a 2000 square foot house and I actually saw a mouse sail right past me. I am for traps, pulling up holes, and getting another cat. (09/18/2010)

By sij325

mouse in the kitchen
Getting Rid of Mice
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
mouse peeking out of a hole in a loaf of bread
Getting Rid of Mice Without Killing Them
Peppermint Oil
Using Peppermint Oil for Mice Control
Mouse hole in wall with a mouse peeking out
Getting Rid of Mice in an Apartment
🎄