Getting Rid of Mice Without Killing Them

Category Mice
mouse peeking out of a hole in a loaf of bread
Some homeowners would like to find ways to get rid of unwanted mice without killing them. This is a guide about getting rid of mice without killing them.

I have accidently stumbled on a way to keep those 4 legged kritters out from under your cupboards. We live in the country and sometimes have a problem with mice getting into the house. They seem to love my lower cupboards (even with 4 cats) and I find traces of them.

I accidently left a potpourri toilet bowl deodorizer under the cupboards. No mice! It was still in the wrapper and not opened, but, they stopped getting into my cupboards! I now hang one on the rails on the sides of the braces that hold the shelves. This way they are not touching your pots and pans that you keep there. (I would not reccomend this where there are food products.)

By Joyce from Decaturville, TN

Top Comment

I've looked all over for these "potpourri toilet bowl deodorizers" and cannot find them. Where did you buy them? Right now, I'm trying a lemon scented deodorizer to keep the mice away, but I wonder if the potpourri scent is what works? Thank you!

Top Comment

I looked all over town for the potpourri toilet deoderizers (for the mice repellers) and just found them at Dollar General a few minutes ago. I was beginning to think I was out of luck. brand name is Bowl Fresh and the cost is 50 cents. They have the old timey wirey hangers attached to them like people used to hang in their toilet bowl. Hope this helps you. Now I want to see , or not see, lol....results!!!

We owned and operated a seasonal fishing camp/resort out in the bush. Our cabins, lodge and washroom facilities were basic & simple. It was a summer business. In the fall we closed down, and in came the mice, although we lived year round on site with 5 cats! I tried everything to protect the cabins, house, etc. from the mice! Now you cannot mouse proof over 11 acres of resort out in the bush, can you? Thanks to a old timer bush man we did.

You may laugh out loud at his wisdom on getting rid of mice or other rodents, when you think about how his bush man solution works out in the boonies, with seasonal cabins, a lodge, workshop, garage and our house.

Here it is, and it worked like a charm for us. It is to feed them ex-lax... super strength if you can. Rodents love ex-lax! We placed it outside & inside. If we thought a cat or dog could get at it, we covered it so that only a rodent could get in and eat it. Even if a bigger animal did get it, it wasn't deadly.

The old bush man told us. Rodents are smaller, their digestive systems are smaller. A little ex-lax goes a long way! Rodents live in communities or families. If one gets sick in "home space". They learn fast and leave for a safer environment.

A mouse or any rodent loves the chocolate wax like bar of ex-lax! Add peanut butter to the bars if you like. It is "Dairy Queen Deluxe" for rodents. Once the word is out among fellow rodents about the "after effects" of the food supplied, they leave the area for healthier food, as well as, communicate and smell the
"Gastric Distress and Results" of the afflicted ex-lax filled rodent to the community!

We thought it was crazy until it worked. The mice were gone and we were trouble free for over 5 years! Easy and Inexpensive! Yes, some rodents had diarrhea as they packed up and left, but we never smelled it. Anyway this worked for us up until we sold the resort and moved!

PS - As it looks and tastes like chocolate, DO NOT PUT WHERE KIDS, ADULTS or PETS may eat it! You know what will happen with ex-lax! Good luck and happy rodent free spaces!

Kelly Ann Butterbaugh0 found this helpful

When the seasons change certain unwelcome guests move into the home. They're little, they're furry, and they're cute when they're running on a wheel. They're not cute when they're running across your kitchen. They're mice, and there are cheap ways to keep them out of your home. Cancel the exterminator and take a common sense approach to mouse prevention.

Block 'Em

The key to preventing mouse takeover is to stop it before it starts. Lock your house to pests by finding every hole to the outside world. Mice can crawl through holes the size of a nickel. To find such small holes in the attic or other smaller spaces, crawl in the area during mid-day and cover the windows and doorways; sit in total darkness. After you calm your fears, look for the light from outside to peer through rafters and cracks. Then, invest in a multi-pack of Great Stuff found at most home improvement stores. It really is great stuff. This foam sprays from a small straw and then expands to fill the entire space.

Prevent all unwanted visitors from entering the house by closing up cat/dog doors and install screens in all of your windows. Likewise, keep garage and basement doors closed at all times.

Starve 'Em

Mice have only one true purpose - to eat. Food should be put away, especially the food that sits appetizingly on the countertop. Basement storage of food items should use the metal cabinets made for pantries. If that's not possible, invest in heavy duty Rubbermaid containers or metal tins.

Pet food is a favorite of mice as well. Before bed, dump Fido's leftovers back into the bag and seal it tightly or store it in a garbage can with a lid. Anyone with a mouse problem knows the feeling of dog food bits stuffed into work boots during the winter months.

Mice have the ability to chew through anything. Rats can easily chew through metal, so imagine that mice aren't that far away. Rubbermaid totes help to keep the smell of the food inside which will deter the mice from chewing through them.

Your goal is to transform your home from a smorgasbord into an inhospitable space. Mice eat anything. I've had them eat the glue on the back of a roll of stickers, and they've eaten through a box of laundry soap.

Scare 'Em

There are some things that mice hate. Dogs and cats scare mice away well. However, there are other foes: snakes. We bought several rubber garter snakes at the dollar store and placed them on basement shelves in key mouse locations. (They leave "calling cards" in their favorite locations.) So far, we haven't had any visitors. If you're brave enough, and lucky enough, to have a real snake inhabit your garden leave it there. Snakes are more efficient at mouse elimination than any other creature.

Top Comment

Great article. I will be using the fake snake idea as well as the expanding foam. Thank you!!

If I put Ex-lax in kitchen drawer to get rid of mice will it attract ants?

Answers

Best Answer

Exlax does not contain sugar or fats so ants are not interested. Exlax also does not contain chocolate; many people assume the very dark brown appearance means chocolate.