Getting Rid of Monkey Grass

I have a natural area in my front yard that I have planted with hundreds of tulips. It also has a border of monkey grass. The monkey grass is invading the entire natural area. I have sprayed it several times but the monkey grass has a wax coating and the spray has no effect. I want to kill the monkey grass inside the area without killing my border or the dormant tulip bulbs. Please advise me how to do this. Thank you.

Joe from Harrisburg, NC

Monkey Grass (also called mondo grass, lily turf or snake beard) often expands farther into beds and borders than gardeners and landscapers anticipate. Like you've discovered, sprays don't work well as a practical means of control due to the waxy coating on grass leaves and the fact that the grass is usually planted close to desirable ornamentals, making it difficult to isolate for spraying. The best way to get a handle on a Monkey Grass invasion is to dig it up and divide it. If left unattended, old growth will result in a tangle of large clumps that eventually spurs a round of vigorous growth, causing the grass to spread. This grass is popular with gardeners, so you might want to pot up the extra clumps of grass into plastic containers and either sell it or give it away. Just make sure that you warn folks to plant the entire pot of grass in the ground to keep it from spreading out of control. After dividing out some of your grass, create an underground barrier between your grass and the tulips using bricks or plastic. Bury it at least 8 to 12 inches deep if you want to keep growth in check, and plan on dividing the grass on an annual basis if necessary.

Getting Rid of Monkey Grass

Monkey grass is very invasive and even though it is pretty, I have quit using it for this reason. The way I always had the best luck is to just pull it up after a good soaking, so that you get ALL the roots. Even if you want to keep it, it has to be thinned ever so often.

By linda

Getting Rid of Monkey Grass

First, know that I am not joking. My answer is to sell it on ebay! Go look for yourself, people are selling it and others are buying it. Look at the descriptions others are using.. spreads easily, etc. I almost bought some myself this summer. :) (08/15/2006)

By Deb

Getting Rid of Monkey Grass

I don't know what Monkey Grass is, but I had luck killing ivy by adding some dish detergent to the weed killer. It apparently helps coat the waxy leaves. Good luck. (08/15/2006)

By downunderchick

Getting Rid of Monkey Grass

Send it to me! :) I have a long section of fence all around my back yard I'd love to line it up on! Anyway, Maria here's a picture of monkey grass. (08/15/2006)

By mef1957

RE: Getting Rid of Monkey Grass

Getting Rid of Monkey Grass

I have a border of monkey grass around two oak trees in the front lawn. Two years ago I replanted the whole front yard with fescue and I now have a beautiful semi-established lawn. Unfortunately, I have noticed more and more of the monkey grass seedlings growing in the front lawn. Yes, the border of monkey grass is still there. Question: are the seedlings coming from the dropped seeds of the monkey grass and being transferred throughout the lawn by rain? If so, how do I get rid of the seedlings? (09/03/2007)

By mark

Monkey Grass (Liriope) plant
Getting Rid of Monkey Grass
Sock Monkey Face
Making a Sock Monkey
Little girl on the beach wearing a grass skirt.
Making Grass Skirts
Johnson Grass
Getting Rid of Johnson Grass
Clump of sod with dirt in the background.
Getting Rid of Lawn