Getting Rid of Mosquitoes, Flies and Bugs

How do I get rid of flies and mosquitoes?

By charcoalfluid from Ripley, TN

Answers:

I don't know about flies, but mosquitoes can be controlled somewhat. Of course you know to keep all outside containers and any "spots" where water collects emptied out. We are creating our own rain barrels and keep buckets around the perimeter of the house to catch rain water. I just read where you can put a bit of olive oil in any containers and the oil will keep the mosquitoes from laying eggs. And the oil will stay on the sides of the containers as water is used or evaporates and "re-oil" when water fills back up. Try it! (07/16/2009)

By HalfWhit

I like that idea, but have to find out where I can get dried tomato leaves from. But sure will try that. For the mosquitoes someone somewhere had said to use Listerine in a spray bottle, I found this to be great. But you have to remember to do it after it rains.

I read somewhere else that taking an empty gallon milk jug and filling it with 2 cups of water and 1 cup each of vinegar and sugar and hang it far from your place. I have mine about 100 ft away on a fence post and haven't had flies on the deck, but the house needs those tomato leaves. Definitely will try this and thanks. (07/16/2009)

By charcoalfluid

There is very little you can do for either, I used a large fan when I am sitting outside to keep the flies away, this helps some. My brother said, a large Ziploc bag filled with water and hung around in the ceiling, make sure that the refection of the sun shines on the bag. He said this will keep flies away. As for, mosquitoes, just spray yourself with the Deep Wood Off. You can also try burning citronella candles. You can get them cheap at Family Dollar, General Dollar store, or Dollar Tree. Mosquitoes are at their worst in the morning and late in the evening, so you might want to avoid going outside this time of day. I read once where a man did spray his lawn with Listerine mouth wash and had no problem with insects! (07/17/2009)

By sickandsexy

Try using those Bounce fabric softer sheets pinned to the outside of your clothes or belt. I heard they work pretty good, also. (07/17/2009)

By sickandsexy

A friend of mine was having problems with critters, flies, spiders, etc. She found this stuff called Hot Shot for different types of critters only at Lowe's in our area. Nobody else around here carries it. Anyway, she has had no further problem after her purchase and trying this remedy. She stated that it lasts for up to three months before having to repurchase more. I've not tried it myself. (07/19/2009)

By 1burrell

House fly on a white surface.
Getting Rid of Flies at a Restaurant
Metal sink drain.
Getting Rid of Drain Flies
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Mosquito Ready to Bite
Controlling Mosquitoes
🎉
🎄