Getting Rid of Moths in Closet

I was wondering how to get rid of moths in my closet. They are eating holes in my t-shirts. Do I have to wash all the clothing first and then treat them? Please help me, I need to know. I'm tired of holes in my shirts, and it's cotton shirts at that.

Debbie

Answers:

Getting Rid of Moths in Closet

I have the same problem. We had moved away for a few years, and when we came back we found that not only the closets, but also the bedroom carpets had moths! I'm awaiting a solution to this problem. (12/04/2004)

By klawrence34

Getting Rid of Moths in Closet

Tried Mothballs? If you're like me you can't stand the smell, another option would be to go to Walmart (pet section, they sell huge bags for bedding) or someone that builds cedar furniture and buy cedar shavings, put in knee high panty hose and knot the top. Or if you're handy with a sewing machine, make your own sachets to hang in your house and the closets, even put some in your dresser drawers. Cedar is a wonderful deterrent for all kinds of bugs/critters and of course it makes your house smell great too. Also, if you have shavings left over I have heard you can put them around your house or under your decking to keep gnats and mosquito's away.

NOTE: You will have to refresh your sachets several times a year with new cedar shavings, so keep this in mind if you are making your own sachets so you can make them with a tie for refilling. (07/12/2005)

By JustCeleste

Getting Rid of Moths in Closet

Thanks JustCeleste! Very helpful! (11/07/2008)

By birdo

Getting Rid of Moths in Closet

I just wrote a rather extensive "feedback" and it didn't post. What's up? Ok, I just read the "Post Feedback" paragraph (duh). Anyway, it was all about cedar; using cedar in the closet/drawers to rid the little critters of their snacks (your clothing). I'm not posting my e-mail because it looks like I might regret it, but will check in. The larvae are the guilty little buggers. They could have already been in the fabric from the store or you have moths, or other critters whose larvae feed on natural fabrics like cotton and wool.

Cedar products are sold at hardware stores, the larger stores with more variety of product. I have purchased cedar planks and cedar spray to re-'cedar' and have had success. I also have taken the 'loaded', ooough, items and put them in the drier. Good luck. (11/09/2008)

By Pam

An up close photo of a moth.
Getting Rid of Moths
Indianmeal moth
Getting Rid of Pantry Moths
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Moth
Getting Rid of a Moth Infestation
🎉
🎄