Getting Rid of "No See Ums"

I have these "no see ums" in my home and they bite. They fly and are almost impossible to see. I do see them but they disappear fast. I had the pest control people in and they sprayed the floor but that has not worked. These flying monsters don't affect my indoor cats. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Cate from Knoxville, TN

Answers:

Getting Rid of "No See Ums"

I recently posted a suggestion for fruit flies, I wonder if the idea will work for your problem.

I placed a piece of cantaloupe in a glass jar, put a funnel on top, spout down and taped it around with masking tape to seal the funnel to the top of the jar. I did this for a few days, and the fruit flies seem to be gone. The fruit flies can fly in but they can't fly out. I took the jar outside far from the house and let them go. Most of them were dead already.

My daughter's boyfriend suggested putting apple cider in a jar, topping it with plastic wrap, and rubber band it tightly so the fruit flies can't get out. Using a toothpick, punch some holes in the top. I did try this method but there was only one fruit fly inside, the rest of them were in the other jar with the funnel.

If I ever have that problem again, I am going to try cider vinegar with the funnel. If it doesn't work, I'm going to add a piece of fruit to the vinegar. (09/11/2007)

By Laura

Getting Rid of "No See Ums"

I live in a hot country. I think I know what you're talking about. The only remedy I find that works is one of those cheap mosquito repellent machines that you put those little blue mats in. They're the only thing that works for me and I've tried all sorts. (09/12/2007)

By cett