Getting Rid of Oxalis

Also known as common woodsorrel, oxalis is not too difficult to eradicate. This guide is about getting rid of oxalis.

February 24, 2006 Flag

Question:

Our backyard is covered by oxalis, how can I get rid of them? Any homemade weed killer that would work?

Thank you very much,
Bobby from San Francisco, CA

Answer:

Bobby,

I don't know of any homemade weed killer designed specifically for oxalis that won't kill the rest of your grass. There are several homemade recipes listed on this site if you want to experiment with some, however most are not discriminating and will kill everything they come into contact with.

Oxalis reproduces by bulblets and seeds that need light to germinate. You may have to employ a combination of strategies over several years in order to regain total control of your yard. The first would be to dig out some of the plants with their bulbs. You'll need to dig down at least 6 inches deep. Another is to whack off some of the plants at the surface to weaken the bulbs by keeping them from being fed and to keep the plants from forming seeds. A third is to cover some of the plants with thick mulch or layers of newspaper to prevent new growth from germinating. These are all pretty labor intensive, but they can be effective if you're diligent. Unless of course, your neighbor's yard is overrun and he has decided to surrender. You might also try a book called, "Golden Gate Gardening," by Jan Pierce for more strategies.

I have tried everything!!! Roundup does not affect it at all.

I live in Everett, WA..

anyone close so I can see what you do??

tordej @ hotmail.com (remove spaces)

I have been trying to find out if this is the same Oxalis that is sold as shamrock plant in stores before St. Patrick's Day.

I just read your answer to Oxalis control in a San Francisco lawn. The oxalis in question is most likely Oxalis pes-caprae a ubiquitous, aggressive and troublesome weed in the SF Bay area. You mention that it spreads by seeds that require light to germinate, and this is not true. Viable seed for this plant has not been observed. You might want to inform your readers of this so they don't waste time pursuing a non-relevant strategy. For more info on Oxalis pes-caprae see:

http://www.cnps-yerbabuena.org/hab_sigg_oxalis.html

By Mike Boss from San Francisco

I've been fighting this going on 3 years. I've been using Weed-b-gon (ortho) w/some success, however, it's very damaging to my bemuda grass, even tho it's not supposed to be.

Recently I discovered a product called Dandelion and Clover killer (eliminator) at Wal-Mart. It's been very effective and has had virtully no effect on my lawn grass. It's also much cheaper than other products, which is good. However, I still "walk the yard" about every other day to discover new patches of the *&**#%@. I have to think it comes from bird droppings. Good luck!

Oxalix X seems to work well. It does not kill ground cover, only the oxalis. Also kills burr clover and spurge. I found it at Armstrong Garden Center in Monrovia, CA.

DEATH TO OXALIS RECIPE

1/3 CUP SULPHATE OF IRON

2 CUPS SULPHATE OF AMMONIA TO 10 LITRES WATER

NOW YOU MUST USE A STICKING AGENT LIKE DISHWASHING LIQUID OR COOKING OIL

SPRAY PLENTY ON LEAVES

GOOD LUCK

Anything that grows considerable above the level of the Dichondra can be eliminated with a good systemic weed killer like Roundup. You have to be careful but it works quite well if done right. Use a set of wheels or skids with a cloth hung between the wheels or skids, at a height that will clear the Dichondra but will come in contact with the taller weeds. wet the cloth with the weed killer and pass it over the area, being careful not to over dampen and allow dripping on the Dichondra. I would advise making several dry runs before applying the weed killer. Be aware of low spots that may allow wheel or skid to drop off and allow cloth to come in to contact with Dichondera

I sent you a method of weeding Dichondra. I am sorry I was distracted and the description of how to make the device, was for another application. Please disregard the article, it is wrong.

The following is what works. But as you read you will see caution must be taken. You decide if you want to post it or not. Thank You J Walker.

Any thing that grows a fair amount taller than the Dichondra can be taken out with a weed killer. You have to be VERY careful but this method works quite well when done right. On reasonably level areas. It is not a good idea for uneven ground.

Use a pair of wheels or a pair of skids about 14 inches apart (your terrain will determine the width best suited)SECURE a evenly cut cloth BEHIND the wheels or skids.And extending about 6 inches WIDER on either side than the wheels or skids. The cloth should adaquetly clear the Dichondera while dragging on the higher weeds. Before applying weed killer make several dry runs, be careful of holes or any uneven spots that will allow cloth to come in contact with Dichondera. Dampen cloth adequately, but not enough to allow any dripping on Dichondera. BE SURE the cloth is BEHIND the wheels or skids so they do not come in contact with the weed killer. DO NOT run over treated area with wheels or skids, or the weed killer will be transfered to your Dichondera via the wheels or skids. Chalk line rows if nesecarry, it is easy to go over same area if not marked.

DO NOT ALLOW WHEELS OR SKIDS TO COME IN TO CONTACT WITH TREATED AREA

I live in north Texas. I have Bemulda grass. I have been fighting Oxalis for two years and the situation is worse this year. I used Weed-B-Gon, Weed-Stop but the Oxalis just came back after one month plus new ones. I learned from here that Walmart's Dandelion and Clover killer (eliminator) is good. I just bought it and applied today but not very confident. Do you guys have any ideas? Where to buy good killers like Oxalis X or Death to Oxalis without kill grass? Thank you in advance!

You need a plastic cover. Any permeable cover will allow the weed to grow right through it, and it will probably wipe out competition from other ground cover. Trust me we're dealing with it now. Removing one foot of top soil (permanently) or covering with plastic for a couple years will probably bring it into manageable care, in meantime happy pulling.

October 6, 2016 Flag

We have oxalis in our lawn and have treated it with Bindi spray numerous times and it hasn't been successful. I am just wondering would dethatching get rid of it?
Thank you

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 3, 2006 Flag

How do I get rid of Oxalis - the green way?

Home and Garden Gardening Weeds Broadleaf WeedsJune 10, 2012
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
🎉
🎄