Getting Rid of Pantry Moths

I am having a problem with pantry moths. I looked for traps for them at the store, but couldn't find them. I have seen them online but would rather not buy that way. Is there anyone who has fought this battle and won? Do you have any home remedy that would get rid of these pantry moths? I am sick of throwing out all the baking goods and cereals they seem to enjoy. Thank you.

By AmberDawn from Toronto, Ontario

Answers:

Getting Rid of Pantry Moths

You'll have to throw out everything they love again, and start with new. Once they are inside whatever item, they can lay eggs. Then you need to go and purchase plastic containers with airtight lids. Look for containers made by OXO or have the Snap Tight feature. Clean the pantry with bleach water, put everything back making sure that all your baking goods are inside the containers. My mom did this for my grandmother's things and the moths were gone within a few days. (12/29/2009)

By ScottishYankee

Getting Rid of Pantry Moths

You need to get rid of anything they are in or could get in. Thoroughly wipe clean the pantry area, concentrate under shelving and in any crevices. Also check other sources that may be around the home; pet foods, snacks, potpourri, dried flora arrangements, and wild bird seed. Also watch where you shop, if you buy in bulk or at "organic" type stores you are probably bringing them in. (12/30/2009)

By larflu

Getting Rid of Pantry Moths

Use Ziploc bags, jars, and close the lids tightly, and Tupperware, which is airtight. Freeze everything for at least a week or two, then keep in the airtight containers. Life requires oxygen, no oxygen, no bugs. (12/31/2009)

By dollyslaffn

Getting Rid of Pantry Moths

Dried bay leaves will keep them out. You can drop them right into your storage containers on top of foods like pasta and rice. Also place them around the cabinets. (01/01/2010)

By happymom613

Getting Rid of Pantry Moths

You can buy moth traps from the King Arthur flour website among others online, but I trust King Arthur flour website.
Try here: kingarthurflour.com (01/01/2010)

By Indianone

Getting Rid of Pantry Moths

Pantry pests by Safer brand. I buy these at Lowe's. Once you get rid of the moths I suggest that you continue putting these Safer sticky pest traps out so you don't get them again. It seems they can live in almost any dry product you can buy at the grocery store.

Sandy (01/02/2010)

By Greenacres5015

Getting Rid of Pantry Moths

I have had great success using a combination of baby oil and pure peppermint oil. I wipe down the shelves in the pantry first and then spray the shelves with the oil mixture, then wipe with a clean cloth. The peppermint oil repels the moths and also ants. There will be a little residue, but this doesn't bother me, and it fades in time. I'm fighting the moths now, after being given pantry items by a friend and forgetting to put them in the freezer first.
Good luck. (01/05/2010)

By ChristinaP

Indianmeal moth
Getting Rid of Pantry Moths
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
An up close photo of a moth.
Getting Rid of Moths
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Moth
Getting Rid of a Moth Infestation
🎄