Getting Rid of Pet Odors

Keeping your friend's smells under control can sometimes be a challenge. This guide is about getting rid of pet odors.

Pet Dog on Floor
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

January 22, 2014 Flag

I have 8 little dogs and they sometimes mess in the house.

By Robert

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For poop or throw up on carpets i use hydrogen peroxide and baking soda.For pee i use vinegar.You must post a photo of your 8 furbabies!

I use Natures Miracle from Petco. Works well for odors but you must wait until it is dry before the odor will be gone.

March 14, 2007 Flag

I have asthma and most cleaning solutions really make it worse. I discovered by accident, a great doggy odor clean up.

In an 8 oz. spray bottle put a capful of "no rinse body bath" and fill bottle with filtered water, give good shake. Then give dogs a gentle spritz to underside, rub, then to the topside, and rub.

Then spray solid coating to bedding and carpet and with broom give brushing. It even will make doggy "skid" marks completely disappear.

By Zuni from Austin, TX

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 7, 2009 Flag

How do you get rid of pet odors?

By oz4410 from SC

I need to know the best way to get dog pee odor out of carpet.

Rick Makela

I would try one of the following:

To remove stain - I love Resolve carpet cleaner in pump spray. For any residual odor - white vinegar poured directly on carpet. Vinegar smell with disappear after a day or two.

Remember to pour enough to saturate the carpet, pad and any floorboard underneath - otherwise, the scent will just come back. (It won't harm color of items.)

April 7, 2009 Flag

I would like to know if anyone out there has a solution for pet odor? My dog is 13 years old and sometimes can't hold it. He sometimes goes in my back room to releave him self, and I don't catch him. Obviously, It has an odor to it, that I'm sure anyone with a pet can understand. So what I'm asking if anyone knows of some solution to get rid of pet odor?

Thanks,
Charlie From New York

Answers:

Pet Odors

Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor or Odo-Ban. My son uses Odo-Ban and swears by it. (09/16/2005)

By Seagrape

Pet Odors

wash with soda water.
Also can use vinigar diluted
Other wise train the dog to pee outside?( (09/16/2005)

By Kay Rose

Pet Odors

I've always used a solution of vinegar and water on the area where my pets have had accidents. It not only "clears the air", but they don't seem to have an accident in the same place, so I don't think they can detect an odor either. I'd test the vinegar & water solution on an inconspicious area of your rug (if that's the problem area) to make sure that the vinegar solution won't discolor. Good luck! (09/17/2005)

By ShellyE

Pet Odors

I use a solution of 1/2 water, 1/4 vinegar and 1/2 lemon juice. I add about 10 drops each, per 20 ounces solution of pine needle essential oil and cedarwood essential oil. You can order the essential oils on line. Works great. You also might try using a belly band for your dog. YOu can order those on line or make your own. It's basically a band that attaches with velcro around your dogs waist area, covering his penis. It has a liquid absorbing pad that you can replace. I found these are great for inside dogs that mark and older dogs that just can't hold it. Good luck (01/27/2006)

By klr2080

Pet Odors

My nine year old pug will use the hall carpet if she can't get outside. she has a kidney condition and it smells worst than dog pee. i use 1/2 tsp dish detergent (to clean), 1/2 cup white vinegar (to kill the smell) and 1/2 cup
hydrogen peroxide (to boil pee out of carpet). Soak up pee with an old towel, pour on enough solution to cover spot and let sit for 15 minutes. then soak up solution with old towels until it's as dry as you can it. spot test carpet first for color fastness. this really works. EllenW (01/28/2006)

By EllenW

Pet Odors

Spray or pour white vinegar over the spot and let it set, it lifts the smell and absorbs the stain. It absolutely works better than anything I've ever tried! (05/16/2006)

By AJ

Pet Odors

Hello,

On your 13 year old pet. My dog had the same problem about urinating. Just here recently I had to have him put to sleep due to bladder cancer. Please have your pet checked for this. Check for blood in his urine. My dog had it for over a year before I even knew he was sick. Do this for your pet. It will be very hard to experience. My dog was 11 1/2 years old. (05/05/2008)

By brunyon

Pet Odors

I bought a Little Green Machine because I have an 18 year old Golden(?)Chow. Plus 4 others that sometimes decide that it is easier to go in the house then go to the door. I have tried many carpet products and vinegar, etc. I have found that plain water in the Little Green Machine works wonderfully in getting out the stain and smell. (01/24/2009)

By Valerie

April 7, 2009 Flag

I would like to know if anyone out there has a solution for pet odor? My dog is 13 years old and sometimes can't hold it. He sometimes goes in my back room to relieve himself, and I don't catch him. Obviously, it has an odor to it, that I'm sure anyone with a pet can understand. So what I'm asking if anyone knows of some solution to get rid of pet odor?

Thanks.
Charlie From New York

Answers:

Pet Odors

Nature's Miracle, Zero Odor, or Odo-Ban. My son uses Odo-Ban and swears by it. (09/16/2005)

By Seagrape

Pet Odors

Try washing with soda water. You can also use vinegar, diluted. Otherwise train the dog to pee outside?

(09/16/2005)

By Kay Rose

Pet Odors

I've always used a solution of vinegar and water on the area where my pets have had accidents. It not only "clears the air", but they don't seem to have an accident in the same place, so I don't think they can detect an odor either. I'd test the vinegar and water solution on an inconspicuous area of your rug (if that's the problem area) to make sure that the vinegar solution won't discolor. Good luck! (09/17/2005)

By ShellyE

Pet Odors

I use a solution of 1/2 water, 1/4 vinegar and 1/2 lemon juice. I add about 10 drops each, per 20 ounces solution of pine needle essential oil and cedarwood essential oil. You can order the essential oils on line. Works great. You also might try using a belly band for your dog. You can order those on line or make your own. It's basically a band that attaches with Velcro around your dogs waist area, covering his penis. It has a liquid absorbing pad that you can replace. I found these are great for inside dogs that mark and older dogs that just can't hold it. Good luck. (01/27/2006)

By klr2080

Pet Odors

My nine year old pug will use the hall carpet if she can't get outside. She has a kidney condition and it smells worst than dog pee. I use 1/2 tsp dish detergent (to clean), 1/2 cup white vinegar (to kill the smell) and 1/2 cup hydrogen peroxide (to boil pee out of carpet). Soak up pee with an old towel, pour on enough solution to cover spot and let sit for 15 minutes. Then soak up solution with old towels until it's as dry as you can it. You will want to spot test your carpet first for color fastness. This really works. EllenW (01/28/2006)

By EllenW

Pet Odors

On your 13 year old pet, my dog had the same problem about urinating. Just here recently I had to have him put to sleep due to bladder cancer. Please have your pet checked for this. Check for blood in his urine. My dog had it for over a year before I even knew he was sick. Do this for your pet. It will be very hard to experience. My dog was 11 1/2 years old. (05/05/2008)

By brunyon

Pet Odors

I bought a Little Green Machine because I have an 18 year old Golden(?)Chow. I also have, 4 others that sometimes decide that it is easier to go in the house then go to the door. I have tried many carpet products and vinegar, etc. I have found that plain water in the Little Green Machine works wonderfully in getting out the stain and smell. (01/24/2009)

By Valerie

Pets Pet OdorsNovember 5, 2012
Guy holding his nose because of bad odors.
Getting Rid of Mildew Odors in a House
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 19, 2016 at 1:07:31 AM on 10.0.1.152 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.