Getting Rid of Poison Ivy

Question:

We have a hay field of about 6 acres. It has become overrun with poison ivy. Any ideas of how to eliminate it without destroying the hay?

Hardiness Zone: 6b

Woofey from Southern, MA

Answer:

Woofey,

The best way to eradicate poison ivy from such a big area is probably by repeated mowing or grazing the areas heavily for several years (sheep and goats apparently show no ill effects when eating it). Repeatedly taking poison ivy down to soil level will eventually cause the roots to die out. Unfortunately, this does nothing to spare your hay. Even when using chemicals like Brush-B-Gone, which is non-selective and also very toxic, poison ivy is difficult to get rid of in small areas. The size of your field makes eliminating it all the more challenging. Some sources recommend repeated mowing followed by plowing it under to control it in large agricultural areas. Not knowing your situation (whether you need to use the hay for your own livestock or you sell it to others as a cash crop, etc.), I don't know if this is even an option for you. You could try checking with your county extension agency http://www.umassextension.org/index.html or the Massachusetts Department of Agricultural Resources http://www.mass.gov/agr/. Their sites may also offer you links to helpful information.

Good luck!
Ellen Brown
http://www.sustainable-media.com

More Answers:

Getting Rid of Poison Ivy

There is a product called Zanfel that you can get at Rite Aid and Walgreens pharmacies. It's expensive. Rite Aid also has a generic. It removes the oil that causes the itching and outbreak from your skin. I have tried everything. This product works. Period. Try it. (08/24/2006)

By Rich Binell

I had lots of poison ivy in my yard when I bought my house. I found the easiest way to get rid of it was to use the pointy end of a pick axe perpendicular to the root and gently work it out of the soil. I'm not allergic to it, but I was careful to immediately place it in a trash bag.

Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
Poison Oak leaves.
Getting Rid of Poison Oak
Closeup of blue flowering creeping charlie.
Getting Rid of Ground Ivy (Creeping Charlie)
Getting Rid of Ivy
Getting Rid of Ivy
English Ivy on Brick Wall
Getting Rid of English Ivy
🎄