Getting Rid of Rats Inside Your House

Controlling a rat infestation of your home can be unpleasant. This is a guide about getting rid of rats inside your house.

March 31, 2005 Flag

To get rid of rats, leave out a dish of carbonated soda. Rats cannot expel gas.

By Laura

If OhlinVR had an infestation of rats I wonder how that problem would be handled?

I have had an infestation of rats in the attic and used the anti-coagulant D-con for it. What I understand is that it causes internal hemorraging and great thirst which causes them to go out to seek water. Their death is relatively painless. (I hope) I agree with OhlinVR very strongly that it is my responsibility as an intelligent and caring human being not to cause undue pain to any of the little creatures around me that are, after all, just trying to make a living.

I've also heard that powdered potatoe flakes work well, (the same idea). And who really cares if they suffer, for goodness sake, they are RATS!

These rats are driving me nuts! I'm justa about willing to try anything to get rid of them. There're also very smart and cannot be underestimated. They've just about destroyed all the food no matter where I store them, it's to the point where I dont even go grocery shopping anymore.Please Help! Any suggestions?

dip a cotton ball tied on a string in fox urine and hang in your attic...good-bye rats

March 21, 2011 Flag

I have a real problem. There was construction in a wooded site near my home and now I seem to be infested with rats who have nested under a shed in my backyard. I have 2 little dogs and another medium sized dog. I don't want to use rat poison to get rid of them. I am fearful the dogs will get into it and be affected by the poison. Can anyone help with a way to rid my yard of these rodents. I would appreciate any help.

By Phyllis from Bay Shore, NY

Hi there I use to work for the City OF CALGARY and we would use gofer bombs lite the end of the bomb and throw it into their hole and that should take care of the all.

I will tell you what my dad would do (cause he has done it), let all your friends know you are on the look out for a black snake. Catch the black snake and put him under the shed. It won't bother the dogs, it will eat all the rats and when the food is gone he will leave to look for more food. While he is down there he will eat any snakes that wander in too. Black snakes are nature's natural exterminators.

My grandmother used peppermint plants to keep rodents out of her farmhouse. I planted peppermint around our house -- no rodents. I would recommend buying the peppermint from a pharmacy used for cooking and flavoring, mixing it in a spray bottle and spraying it around the yard etc. It shouldn't bother dogs or cats.

We put moth balls under the house and any building we have on our property and scatter them around the yard. The outside buildings also get some put inside. It deters even snakes from getting into our yard, no more bugs or mice in the house!

Go to a farm supply store and get some 'Ramik' bars. The rats will eat them and they will dehydrate and die. When you find them dead, they are flat as pancakes and don't blow up like they do with D'Con.

August 20, 2011 Flag

I need help getting rid of rats. Any suggestions?

By Dar from Luling, TX

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Poison would be the first suggestion. You can buy some at the grocery store in pellets. The pellets are small enough they fit in tight spaces so you can spread them around efficiently.

The second suggestion would be a black snake. In my area we can let friends and family know we are looking for one and have one in a couple weeks. We put a snake under the house a couple years ago and our rodent problem quickly came to an end. We found the snake one day leaving from under the porch, caught him and put him in our barn. This only works if you have no concern for kittens though. Kittens are small enough a black snake will sometimes eat them as well.

You can always call an exterminator who will more than likely set traps and/or poison though out the area.

DCON

You can also get rat poison in a solid block form. I do this because I have dogs. I put it out at night with wire fencing around it. The fencing has large enough openings for the rats to get through, but not my dogs' heads. ( I only do this because the dogs need out at night and I don't want to take any chances.) The rat poison is put out at night, picked up in the morning. By using a block form, I know that no pellets or treated seeds are scattered where I might not see them but my dogs will. I also know that no birds will get ahold of it. The block is too heavy for the rats to carry it away, plus the fencing keeps it in place.

We caught a rat in our backyard using a humane trap. Have A Heart trap is the name. We also accidentally caught a squirrel and let it go. Once we had the rat, we let it run free about five miles from our house!

Rescue a Rat Terrier, these are fearsome little dogs and they love rats. One dog killed over 7,000 rats in a barn in England in an 8 hour day. They snap the rats neck and keep going. You should determine why you have rats invading you in the first place? Dog food, garbage, chicken anything like that needs to be secured. Take away the food source and they will quit coming back. Good luck!

July 16, 2012 Flag

Will the peppermint oil work on rats as well as mice?

By Ramona C.

I have seen on here before that Borax mixed with cake mix and sprinkled where they gather will work on mice. Their bodies and systems are almost alike. It's worth a try, right?

I found this on google and I like their options. Who knew you could get rid of rats with cat litter? Check them out for more.

http://ezinearticles.com/?Rats---Ho ... -Rid-of-Rats-For-Good&id=2851534

Good luck. I just hate them myself, too!

If you have rats, I think you should get an exterminator.

Rats and mice have very different metabolisms; what will kill a rat may not work for mice and vice versa. Also, rats cannot throw up and mice can.

For the next poster, borax is toxic to rats. They have to eat about 1/3 teaspoon for it to affect them. Boric acid, on the other hand, is NOT toxic to them.

November 21, 2011 Flag

I would like to know if borax is used to kill rats? If not what do you all recommend?

By Linda M. from San Antonio, TX

Borax can be used to kill ants. It is poisonous, but I am sure the rats won't eat it. I would call an exterminator; where there is one rat, there are usually dozens. You could try trapping it with rat traps; you can likely get these at a hardware store.

March 21, 2011 Flag

I live in an old Victorian house. Now that it is getting cooler rats have become a problem. I have a big Pit Bull that is sweet to people, but hates cats, so the obvious solution is out. And poison is out because of my dog as well. What are my options? These rats have got to go!

By P A from Point Richmond, CA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Rats

After catching an episode one of the show "Verminators" I think I would call a professional. It was an older, possibly Victorian home, and they chewed through the wiring and caused several fires in the attic. Seems like nothing to mess around with. They used traps, mostly as the homeowners were vegans.

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/verminators/episode-guide.html (10/22/2009)

By Kaelle

Getting Rid of Rats

Please do not waste your money on those Riddex things that you plug into the wall. They don't work! I haven't had rats or mice in years. I use the same thing my mother always used. Take some Coca-Cola Classic and pour in mayonnaise lids and put underneath your cabinet sink and around in the kitchen and bathroom. This works and there is a reason why it does so well. When you down a Coke, what's the 1st thing you feel like doing? You burp. Well, rats and mice don't have the capacity to burp or pass gas so after they drink the Coke it creates gas in their stomachs, and their insides explode. I hope this helps.

Beverly (Havana, AR) (10/25/2009)

By fritzbaby2000

Getting Rid of Rats

If you can get a large amount of rosemary from the bulk food section of a store take and burn it in a frying pan. Take the burnt rosemary and put in your crawl spaces, etc. Rodents hate the odor and will leave. People did this during the middle ages because of the plague that was spread by the fleas on the rats. Coke and Alka Seltzer also work as, safe for pets and children, poisons.

You can also make a very effective trap out of a five gallon bucket, two small boards, and some heavy duty plastic wrap. Tightly cover the top of the bucket with plastic wrap, cut a slit in the middle. Put some peanut butter or cat food in the bucket, then put the bucket where you see the most rats, and put the two boards on either side of like a ramp. Being careful that they go only to the edge of the bucket so the rats have to walk on the plastic wrap they will fall into the bucket and be trapped.

From here you can either drown them in the bucket or the most humane method would be to put the bucket inside a large black garbage sack, tie it around your car's tail pipe and run for ten minutes or so. This will put them to "sleep" from carbon monoxide poisoning and they will have a painless death. I have lived for many years in a big Victorian ranch house and we get lots of mice and field rats and this is what I do. Also set rat traps (bigger than mouse traps) in places your dog can't get to them close to walls, under furniture, the sink, etc. Check at least twice a day and reset. You should get rid of most of your problem. (10/26/2009)

By tigra

Getting Rid of Rats

I just got rid of four "rats" at our Victorian house. Ours were not really rats, but huge beefed up mice. We had set several mouse traps and they would set them off and get the food, but not get trapped. Finally we set a live trap and caught two at the same time. However, by the time I got my husband to dispose of them one had died (heart failure?) and the other had figured out how to escape. So we could see that we were dealing with intelligent large mice.

Finally I bought a rat trap. Houdini mouse actually threw a sock on the trap and got the food. A friend of ours who is in extermination told me to put a mixture of cornmeal and sugar all over the trap and the mouse would try to get every speck of it. It worked. We have caught four mice, all very large, as big as rats, but without the rat look. I think now I will put out the smaller traps again and see if there are any regular mice lurking around. (02/17/2010)

By titus2moma

October 22, 2009 Flag

Could someone help with advice on how to get rid of rats? A friend has rats that she cannot get rid of and now Mrs. Rat has had eight little baby rats! My friend also has dogs so the advice needs to be pet safe.

Thank you! Kind regards,
Carol from Pretoria SA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Rats

Dry plaster of paris in a small dish with a couple of drops of vanilla essence underneath to attract the rats. They will (in theory) be attracted by the smell of the vanilla essence and eat the dry powder mix of plaster of paris. Upon becoming thirsty they will go for a drink of water, setting the plaster of paris rock hard in their digestive system and as a result kill them. Simple and cheap! (09/01/2006)

By Randy Rhoads

Getting Rid of Rats

Traps in a box...

I know a mouse trap can fit into the average shoe box, but you may need something larger for a rat. But place a rat-trap in a box with a hole big enough for a rat, but not a dog. If the box is accessible, you may wish to affix the trap on the backside of the box so that the dog can not even reach into the box far enough to trip the trap.

You can attach the trap by putting two small holes in it rather close together and then put two holes in the box (that match) and use a twist-tie to bind it. (09/01/2006)

By Qryztufre

Getting Rid of Rats

Please consider using humane traps. They are easily found on the internet. Your local humane society, vet, or animal control office may have them available for you to borrow. (09/01/2006)

Getting Rid of Rats

For our home and my husband's shop, we use "Just One Bite Bars" (or packets-you don't have to handle). These ARE NOT pet friendly, but we use them in our attic and never have rats. They are named just one bite because that's all it takes. It makes them hemorrhage. Be sure to use gloves to handle the bars as you put them out or get the packets and you won't have to handle them. I buy this product at our local farm and garden store. Just keep it in the attic away from your pets. It will take care of your problem. (09/01/2006)

By mona lisa

Getting Rid of Rats

Carol, my way is to use Tumble- Dryer Fabric Conditioner Sheets! Odd as it sounds, these impregnated sheets if placed in the runs and nesting sites of vermin will cause them to turn tail and disappear for about six months when you should repeat the process. Don't ask me how or why, it just seems to work, without harming anyone. (09/01/2006)

By Alan24

Getting Rid of Rats

Cats?? (09/04/2006)

By aardvark

Getting Rid of Rats

My husband was told to use peppermint oil, you soak cotton balls in it and place in any crawl spaces, attics, opens. We heard that rats hate the smell and will move out . We just did this a couple of days ago and will know soon if it really works. Wish us luck, I hate rats. (11/04/2006)

By cindy nichols.

Getting Rid of Rats

Go to Walmart, buy fox pee. Spray it on the wood in the attic. They think the fox is around, and run away. (02/04/2009)

By keith

Home and Garden Pest Control RatsDecember 18, 2012
Cricket on white
Getting Rid of Crickets in the House
A brown rat outside.
Dealing With Rats Outside Your House
Five Pigeons
Getting Rid of Pigeons
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄