Question
Browse>Contests>Ask>Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Getting Rid of Rats Inside Your House

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Getting Rid of Rats

Controlling a rat infestation of your home can be unpleasant. This is a guide about getting rid of rats inside your house.

Solutions: Getting Rid of Rats Inside Your House

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Carbonated Soda For Rats

To get rid of rats, leave out a dish of carbonated soda. Rats cannot expel gas.

By Laura

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Getting Rid of Rats Inside Your House.

Question: Rat Deterrent

Rats leave a scent so they know how to get back to where they find food. Can you use vinegar to kill off their trail scent?

By Marge

Question: Getting Rid of Pack Rats

Is there an effective way to kill our pack rats? I would prefer something homemade.

By Patricia from Odessa, TX

Question: Getting Rid of Rats

Will the peppermint oil work on rats as well as mice?

By Ramona C.

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]07/17/2012

If you have rats, I think you should get an exterminator.

Question: Getting Rid of Rats

I would like to know if borax is used to kill rats? If not what do you all recommend?

By Linda M. from San Antonio, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]11/28/2011

Borax can be used to kill ants. It is poisonous, but I am sure the rats won't eat it. I would call an exterminator; where there is one rat, there are usually dozens. You could try trapping it with rat traps; you can likely get these at a hardware store.

Question: Getting Rid of Rats

I need help getting rid of rats. Any suggestions?

By Dar from Luling, TX

Most Recent Answer

By Louise B. [5]08/23/2011

In our area up here in Saskatchewan, we have a rat control officer/ pest control officer who will come and help you deal with the rat problem. They give advice on getting rid of them, and on clean up to avoid further infestations. I believe they provide the proper poison. If you have a rat infestation, I don't think you should be fooling around with humane traps. And if you don't know what you are doing with poison, it is not something to use. You may end up with a rotting rat in your house, and then you will have additional problems. Or you may end up poisoning pets and possibly, children. If you have a lot of rats, I think you should call in a professional.

Question: Getting Rid of Rats

I have a real problem. There was construction in a wooded site near my home and now I seem to be infested with rats who have nested under a shed in my backyard. I have 2 little dogs and another medium sized dog. I don't want to use rat poison to get rid of them. I am fearful the dogs will get into it and be affected by the poison. Can anyone help with a way to rid my yard of these rodents. I would appreciate any help.

By Phyllis from Bay Shore, NY

Most Recent Answer

By Jackolyn Smith [14]08/22/2011

Go to a farm supply store and get some 'Ramik' bars. The rats will eat them and they will dehydrate and die. When you find them dead, they are flat as pancakes and don't blow up like they do with D'Con.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Getting Rid of Rats

Could someone help with advice on how to get rid of rats? A friend has rats that she cannot get rid of and now Mrs. Rat has had eight little baby rats! My friend also has dogs so the advice needs to be pet safe.

Thank you! Kind regards,
Carol from Pretoria SA

RE: Getting Rid of Rats

Dry plaster of paris in a small dish with a couple of drops of vanilla essence underneath to attract the rats. They will (in theory) be attracted by the smell of the vanilla essence and eat the dry powder mix of plaster of paris. Upon becoming thirsty they will go for a drink of water, setting the plaster of paris rock hard in their digestive system and as a result kill them. Simple and cheap! (09/01/2006)

By Randy Rhoads

RE: Getting Rid of Rats

Traps in a box...

I know a mouse trap can fit into the average shoe box, but you may need something larger for a rat. But place a rat-trap in a box with a hole big enough for a rat, but not a dog. If the box is accessible, you may wish to affix the trap on the backside of the box so that the dog can not even reach into the box far enough to trip the trap.

You can attach the trap by putting two small holes in it rather close together and then put two holes in the box (that match) and use a twist-tie to bind it. (09/01/2006)

By Qryztufre

RE: Getting Rid of Rats

Please consider using humane traps. They are easily found on the internet. Your local humane society, vet, or animal control office may have them available for you to borrow. (09/01/2006)

RE: Getting Rid of Rats

For our home and my husband's shop, we use "Just One Bite Bars" (or packets-you don't have to handle). These ARE NOT pet friendly, but we use them in our attic and never have rats. They are named just one bite because that's all it takes. It makes them hemorrhage. Be sure to use gloves to handle the bars as you put them out or get the packets and you won't have to handle them. I buy this product at our local farm and garden store. Just keep it in the attic away from your pets. It will take care of your problem. (09/01/2006)

By mona lisa

RE: Getting Rid of Rats

Carol, my way is to use Tumble- Dryer Fabric Conditioner Sheets! Odd as it sounds, these impregnated sheets if placed in the runs and nesting sites of vermin will cause them to turn tail and disappear for about six months when you should repeat the process. Don't ask me how or why, it just seems to work, without harming anyone. (09/01/2006)

By Alan24

RE: Getting Rid of Rats

Cats?? (09/04/2006)

By aardvark

RE: Getting Rid of Rats

My husband was told to use peppermint oil, you soak cotton balls in it and place in any crawl spaces, attics, opens. We heard that rats hate the smell and will move out . We just did this a couple of days ago and will know soon if it really works. Wish us luck, I hate rats. (11/04/2006)

By cindy nichols.

RE: Getting Rid of Rats

Go to Walmart, buy fox pee. Spray it on the wood in the attic. They think the fox is around, and run away. (02/04/2009)

By keith

Archive: Getting Rid of Rats

I live in an old Victorian house. Now that it is getting cooler rats have become a problem. I have a big Pit Bull that is sweet to people, but hates cats, so the obvious solution is out.