Getting Rid of Rodents in a House

I have rats and mice in my walls and ceilings. How do they get there? And how do I get rid of them?

By Michele from Norristown, PA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Rodents in a House

You can try poison, but I don't recommend it. They eat, run off, and die in your walls to stink up the place. Try a mouse trap or several around the place. Use peanut butter as bait. If you use a trap which has holes in the triggering mechanism for the peanut butter to get into you get more mice. (01/12/2010)

By Suntydt

Getting Rid of Rodents in a House

Get a cat. They may not catch the rodents, but it will scare them away. Our neighbor had a rodent problem after her cat died. So she adopted 2 new cats from a shelter and she hasn't had rodents since. I think the rodents smell the cats and just stay away. (01/15/2010)

By PainterLee

Getting Rid of Rodents in a House

I had my grandson throw a box of D-Con into the attic. I didn't notice any smell in the house afterward. (01/15/2010)

By wasshrunk

Getting Rid of Rodents in a House

The answer to a rodent problem is always cats. Cats are very non-toxic and natural. (01/16/2010)

By louel53

Getting Rid of Rodents in a House

There are several things you need to do to get rid of mice and rats. First, set traps or have someone do it for you. Peanut butter or cheese works good for bait.

Next, to keep from getting more, you need to figure out where they are getting in and seal up those spots. Mice can squeeze into very small cracks, so it may be difficult to find it. You may also have more than one spot where they are sneaking in.

Also, removing any water source will cause them to move on. Dripping pipes, water condensing on walls, etc. provide plenty of water for rodents. Good luck! (01/16/2010)

By marysescapades

Getting Rid of Rodents in a House

You can buy a poison called Bar-Bait. It comes in different flavors, and rodents love it. Place it near the holes, in ceiling vents, in crawl spaces, etc. The mice, etc. will eat it and die, but this stuff will dehydrate them so they won't rot and decay and stink in your walls. Please DO NOT use it if there are any cats that may find and eat the mice. (01/18/2010)

By susanmajp

Getting Rid of Rodents in a House
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Cricket on white
Getting Rid of Crickets in the House
Rodent Control, Closeup of Wood Mouse
Rodent Control
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎄