Getting Rid of Small Black Ants

Does anyone know of a way to get rid of those tiny black ants without harsh or dangerous chemicals? My house is crawling with them and I am getting desperate.

By Nancy from GA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Small Black Ants

Give the diatomaceous earth a shot. It's hard to find and MOST IMPORTANT: It must be food-grade diatomaceous earth. If not, it is the stuff that has been heated up to be like glass and is very toxic. The regular stuff, however, is so good that some people actually eat the stuff for cleansing themselves. For ants and other exoskeleton animals, it pokes microscopic holes in them until they desiccate and die. Sprinkle around the corners of the house and see if it works. (01/19/2010)

By thintieguy

Getting Rid of Small Black Ants

I lived in Africa where there were a lot of little black ants: we kept them to a minimum by sweeping very well every day.

Here, we wipe a line of bleach water to make a barrier, anywhere they try to come in. Do it about 2 times a week. (01/20/2010)

By PIKKA

Getting Rid of Small Black Ants

I have used the ant traps that you put in the corners of the room and they have worked very well. Depending on room size, box will tell you have many you need. Caution if you have small toddlers or pets they may try to chew them if you put them in a highly visible place. Also, treating the perimeter of your house helps, too. I think you can find the proper supplies at a hardware store. (01/20/2010)

By Amy3e

Getting Rid of Small Black Ants

A product called "Terro" from Walmart will get rid of them for a while, but I see you live in GA. I live in FL, and I have your problem. I am constantly battling these ants. As far as finding where they come in, they are all over the outside. I resorted to insecticide granules applied to every inch of my property, especially around the base of the house. Then I water it in. I hate doing this because it's not good for the environment. I do this every 4 to 6 weeks. It also keeps fleas down. If there is a better, safer, more effective way, I would like to know what it is. Forget all the borax, etc. I've tried them all. They might work up north. (01/22/2010)

By Stngray

Getting Rid of Small Black Ants

Absolutely wonderful product from GardensAlive that is a blue liquid and takes only two drops on the ant's "trail". They will discover and eat it, take it to the queen and it's a done deal. It costs about $7.50 + S/H, and ever so worth it, lasting a long time even though only about a 4 oz. bottle, unless you have lots of original ant trails to spot treat? I leave the drops there until the ants eat it all, then never see the ants or use the killer again. I learned of it many years ago, I have had to buy only two in all of these years and the last bottle is still good and nearly full.

Those ants are specifically "sugar ants" so go on a seek and find sugar and syrup/jelly smear and sticky places. Hunt starting at the sugar canister, then any place sugar granules could have dropped, especially wet places that might have melted and stuck to the bottoms of jars, etc.

Rarely, but occasionally I have seen this product called, "PIC Liquid Bait Ant Killer" at hardware and garden centers, so you could save the S/H fees, and any taxes that apply, but otherwise, don't let the price scare you away for such a treasured safe and most effective product, from an Organic company.

I use Amdro for fire ants outdoors, but I'll bet the PIC product would work there as well? I just happen to have so few ants anymore for at least six years now, because both products work. The liquid may wash away too easily for outdoors though. It's perfect for indoor use. God bless and good luck.(02/17/2010)

By lyndagayle62

Several small ants inside a sugar bowl
Getting Rid of Small Black Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Getting Rid of Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
underside of Black Widow Spider
Getting Rid of Black Widow Spiders
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants
🎉
🎄