Getting Rid of Sugar Ants

I have what I was told are sugar ants. I have put all foodstuff in jars, etc. Now I found out they are in my carpeting in the living room. I am not familiar with sugar ants, so don't have any idea what to do. I sprayed bug spray on my baseboards, also. Please help.

By bdon1 from Praireville, LA

Tiny Sugar Ants

I don't know if this will work, but it worked for other small ants we had in Oregon. Make a slightly stronger than normal solution of bleach water (like 1 tablespoon in quart of water). Draw barrier lines where ever you don't want them with a damp cloth you've dipped and wrung out in this solution. Wipe in front of sliding doors, front door, along the kitchen counter, anywhere you've noticed them trailing in.

They stayed away for a few days at a stretch and we would just repeat. Good to do it when you can then go to another room until smell dies down.

My daughter thought of it, and tried it, and I've used it since. (09/22/2009)

Tiny Sugar Ants

You can get rid of them this way for sure. Using a 50 / 50 mixture of white vinegar and water use a foam paintbrush, they work best for this and literally paint all around the cabinet counter tops with this mixture. Also use a cloth and wash down all of the cabinet tops. Using the paint brush around the edges will get into the little cracks that would not normally be hit with the solution. This works perfectly. Also take bay leaves (fresh is best, but dried will work) and put them into the back of all drawers and inside to the back of all cabinets, the ants hate the smell and won't be back.

Also, if you notice any ants outside you can get rid of them naturally, as well. Use dry cat food 1/2 cup mixed with grape jelly 1/4 cup (they only like grape for some reason) with a tablespoon of boric acid, let it soak until it becomes 'soggy and doughy" and mix thoroughly. Make small little balls about the size of a marble and place around outside of house where you notice any ants. They will take the new food back to the nest and the queen. The mixture with the boric acid will kill them off quick and easy, naturally as well, so as to not hurt any other animals. Stick the little balls into crevices to keep out of site and reach of little fingers.

Good luck. (09/22/2009)

By Beau D

Tiny Sugar Ants

Mix about 10% 20 Mule Team Borax in squeeze bottle filled with Karo syrup. Warm a few seconds in the microwave. Shake til dissolved. Spread into cracks and crevices where no pets can lick it. Ants carry it back to nest and it kills the whole nest. Queens can live for up to 20 years, producing many more queens. That is why it is so important to kill whole nest. Takes a little while. Several days to a week. (09/23/2009)

By muttmom

Tiny Sugar Ants

Sprinkle dry baking soda liberally on your rug. Leave for a few hours and vacuum really well. You may need to repeat this a couple of times, but it should get rid of your ants, and you will have a good fresh smelling carpet to boot. They take it back to the nest and all there eat it and cannot digest it. If this does not completely eliminate them from your carpet then sprinkle with 20 Mule Team Borax, same procedure as soda. Between the 2 you are sure to get rid of them. (09/23/2009)

By jsham

Tiny Sugar Ants

This is an update on my sugar ants. I did what someone advised. I mixed equal amounts of powdered sugar and borax, then waited till nobody was at my home. Then I sprinkled it by my door jam where they were coming in. I tell you they were having a party. I let them go. The next day they were gone. I still check every day, haven't seen any yet. I'm holding my breath. So far so good. Thanks everyone for your advice. I'm 68+years, never too old to learn.

Joanie (10/06/2009)

By bdon1

Closeup of Ants Eating Sugar
Getting Rid of Sugar Ants
Ants on a Trumpet Vine
Keeping Ants Off a Trumpet Vine
spoonful of sugar
Can You Use Sugar Contaminated By Ants?
Storing Sugar
Storing Sugar
Flying ant on a white background.
Getting Rid of Flying Ants