Getting Rid of Weevils

Does anyone know how to get rid of weevils? Sometimes they are called cupboard ants. We must have gotten them from the grocery store and now I can't get rid of them. I have bleached the cupboards and I have tried the basil leaves in all the dry products. Finally I have resorted to throwing everything away and storing in plastic bags and containers... yet they are still here.

Mary from Panama City Beach, FL

Answers:

Getting Rid of Weevils

Freeze the items. Close the dried good bags/boxes tightly or put into airtight containers and put into your freezer, then wash the cabinets/pantry down with bleach water very thoroughly.( May even want to spray bug spray in them.) Wait a day or two then wash out again.

I have heard discussion on this topic and others swear by the freezing and cleaning method. Freezing will kill eggs and the bugs. But you still need to clean the cabinets too, to be sure no eggs or bugs are in them.

Hope this helps. I have been blessed to not have this problem yet, but have been reading more and more about others having them.

It seems bugs of all kinds are becoming rampant all over... Wierd.

Brenda-ohio (03/22/2006)

By brenda thompson

Getting Rid of Weevils

You should put bay leaves into your containers instead of basil. I use bay leaves and never have a problem. (03/23/2006)

By Pepsi

Getting Rid of Weevils

Prevention, prevention, prevention... keeping all food in frig or freezer, keeping everything airtight is something we have always had to do in Florida. We also have to hang our trash on a hook at least a few inches from the floor and throw it out to our farthest fence line at least twice a day. As far as garbage, we just throw that way out immediately (anything with an odor). This way you never have to use harsh deet or other chemicals. (09/30/2008)

By DebbyLynn

Getting Rid of Weevils
Stored food in a jars in a pantry.
Keeping Weevils Out of Stored Food
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
🎉
🎄