Getting Rid of Weevils

It seems like I have weevils throughout my kitchen, dinning, and living rooms, is that possible? I keep a very clean house. Vacuum daily, clean the bathroom every other day, do laundry daily. I do not keep food out. What are these critters and how do I get rid of them?

By Shan from Kent, WA

Answers:

Getting Rid of Weevils

I never had problems until I moved into my new house and found them. I now freeze just about everything that comes in the house for 2-3 days before putting in the pantry. Pasta, flour, sugar, oatmeal, crackers, etc. all goes in the freezer. When I first found these I took everything out of the pantry, wiped it down really good and then vacuumed really well including all the cervices and corners.

I then put bay leaves all over and in the corners of each shelf I put a cotton ball soaked in peppermint extract. I put everything in plastic containers or Tupperware/Rubbermaid once open. So far seems to be working, but I still check everything when I open it. You can also buy traps to put in your pantry. (12/09/2009)

By dwutz

Getting Rid of Weevils

Spray the house with bug spray and stay out side for a while. Good luck. (12/10/2009)

By kffrmw88

Getting Rid of Weevils

I had weevils this past summer, although I did not know what they were for the longest time. I live in upstate New York and so I was not readily familiar with them. I would find them on my counter top everyday and couldn't figure out where they were coming from. I cleaned and sprayed and cleaned.

Finally I found the "nest" in a container of flour. Eeek! Everything not in a sealed container went in the garbage outside. Everything else got frozen, just to be safe. I found a kitchen spray at Home Depot that listed all types of weevils (there are so many). I left the cabinet that they were in, plus the one on either side empty for three whole weeks, wiping down and then spraying daily. I got rid of the buggers, but it took patience and work.

So, you really need to know what their source is (nest) and are you positive they are weevils. They are so tiny. My best resource for this problem was www.ehow.com. Look for "how to get rid of weevils" and you will get some very good information. (12/14/2009)

By Beth

Getting Rid of Weevils
Stored food in a jars in a pantry.
Keeping Weevils Out of Stored Food
Closeup of a gopher.
Getting Rid of Gophers
Closeup of green bodied house fly.
Getting Rid of Flies
iTunes icon on a phone
Getting Rid of Duplicates in iTunes
🎉
🎄