Getting Rid of Wood Bees

Does anyone know what to do to get rid of wood bees that bore into the rafters of outbuildings?

Rosie from Martin, TN

Getting Rid of Wood Bees

These bees are actually called Carpenter Bees. Go to this site: It has extensive information about these bees, their habits, and more importantly, how to get rid of them.

Good Luck! (03/20/2006)

By Marnita

Getting Rid of Wood Bees

I had the same bees at my house, the outside had barn boards on it. The only way I got rid of them was to hire a pest control company. My neighbour did it him self and they came back. Good Luck. (03/21/2006)

By Scaryone

Getting Rid of Wood Bees

The summer after my husband completed our new back porch, we began having these big bees. I'm not certain if they are exactly what is bothering you, but a dear friend of mine gave me this hint she had learned from a few Dunkard women she met at a craft sale.

Hang a few clear plastic bags, filled 1/2 to 3/4 full of clear water, around the immediate area. I used Ziploc qt. size baggies (3) and hung them on each side and on the front beam as well, using thumbtacks to hold in place. I don't know why it works, but it did work! We still saw bees come around, but they would fly away once they saw the bags of water. (04/03/2006)

By Debbie

Getting Rid of Wood Bees

To get rid of carpenter bees aka wood bees, use a 5% Sevin dust. If it's possible, put the dust into the holes at night when they rest, then in about 24-48 hours, cover the hole with wood putty so they are trapped. Have fun!

By Jess

Getting Rid of Wood Bees

I called a bee man and he said to put WD-40 in each one of their holes, you can tell their homes by the dung that is coming out of it. It not only got rid of them, but helps in the cleaning of the left over bee dung. Good luck.

By lorijean

Getting Rid of Wood Bees

I tried the WD 40 thing and so far it is working. Females came out of the holes and died within a few minutes. Too early to tell about the eggs or males, but I will follow up soon! (06/13/2008)

By csamsham2004

WD40 is the bomb! I killed 12 in 1 day...just spray it in hole and they fall out like rain...deader than a wedge

PB Blaster ( similar to WD-40 but better ) sprayed into the bore holes, jam hole with steel wool or tin foil, then top with a good exterior, color matching caulk.

Carpenter bee drilling into wood.
Getting Rid of Carpenter Bees
Cup Stain on Wood
Removing Cup Rings from Wood Furniture
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
bee on a flower
The Benefits of Bees in Your Garden
Getting Rid of Bees