Getting Rid of Your Car

Close up of car rear window with For Sale Sign
Getting rid of your can can be a life changing decision. Many people find it enjoyable and liberating. This is a guide about getting rid of your car.

My husband and I moved back from China a year ago and it's been rough keeping up with the economy. About 3 months ago, I realized how unhappy I was having a car because I felt like all our money went to gas (we all feel this way, right!?).

I said to the universe, "I don't want a car anymore" and within a week, it died on me and I am now without a car. It was the universe giving me what I wanted and I decided I could do without. Not having a car has really forced me to live and utilize what is within my own community - it all has to be within a reasonable distance biking or walking.

For work, my biggest challenge, my husband takes me in the morning and then a co worker drops me off on a main street on her way home and I walk the 4 miles home (two big hills!). In the winter, I can take the bus from my drop off point to the street I live on and walk the remaining 1/2 mile home.

Can I just tell you, I am so happy? I don't have to worry about car issues anymore. It's sometimes a little inconvenience, but it is really great and we are able to save a lot more money! And I feel great too!

I come home nice and ready for dinner, a bath and a good night's sleep. I don't have to worry about the fluctuation in gas prices and I don't have to pay for a gym membership anymore.

I'm also much more aware of my own community. I feel like nowadays, people are so spread out: they don't shop in their community, they don't know their neighbors, they don't attend special events in their community, they are all over the map. Now I want to find more volunteer opportunities locally (before I was traveling up to an hour away for beach clean ups meanwhile emitting carbon monoxide) and really make a difference in MY COMMUNITY. What happened to community?

Amber from San Diego, CA

Do you have a frugal story to share with the ThriftyFun community? Submit your essay here: http://www.thriftyfun.com/post_myfrugallife.ldml

Upon retirement we got rid of our second vehicle and I don't regret it for a moment. Houston Metro has really good discounts for seniors and I have reached the final plateau....FREE! At age 70 I got a special card which permits me to ride any regularly scheduled mode of transportation for nothing. I take the bus to work on days when I go and to visit my granddaughter. There is a park and ride where they pick me up. Almost a 60 mile journey one way for free. One of the very few nice things about being old. I wish more people would use public transportation.

I heard New Yorkers are healthier than people who live in the country. I can believe it because they walk everywhere. I live in the country and people drive everywhere. They even drive a mower to cut their grass. I have to own a car, but I traded in my Ford Escape for a smaller Focus. I have a non-riding mower so I get quite a workout mowing my large lawn. I have a job- teaching- in which I spend all day on my feet walking between desks and around campus. I would like to move to town someday and I think we should all eventually give up our cars. I plan to retire near a bus line though!

I hope you give your co-worker who buys gas, insurance and maintenance on her car something for dropping you off. I suspect they could feel a little $ appreciation would be nice on your part. edie

Ah! I asked the universe for this, too (but I did not mean for hubby to be car-less) and I am finding that my not owning a freezer or washer is really the only stumbling block I have.

He's having more problems adjusting.

I'm washing more by "hand" and making a side trip for a few items at the store rather than the bank and back busting stock up trip.

I have a must be walked portion of my trek to work. It's fine in good weather and doable in snow. Sadly, it is northward, so I;m walking into the flakes.