Getting Rid of a Moth Infestation

Category Moths
Moth
Having moths inside your home can be a real nuisance. This guide is about getting rid of a moth infestation.

We are trying to stay clothes/pantry moth-free since an infestation in September of last year. We are really scared of finding holes in our clothes again. Is it true that spray starch attracts and nourishes larvae? Can we use spray sizing on our clothes instead? Any cleaning secrets that moth-infestation survivors have to share?

We will not breathe a sigh of relief until we have one pest-free year. So far, so good. Any additional assistance is most appreciated. Also, is it safe to put whole cloves in the pockets of clothes? Is is truly safe to use lavender to repel moths? We've read that moths like herbs, spices and plants, too.

NewYorkParis from NYC

Answers

I don't know if they are the same, but we had a moth infestation in our kitchen awhile back. I had to get rid of all grain foods. What an expense! Anyhow, after that, I now freeze all flours, rice, pasta, grain stuffs, etc.. before opening. I also store most of these foods in heavy duty plastic containers with screw on lids. You have to make sure there is a true seal, so what I do is put a coffee filter on before the lid. If it appears to have any holes, I throw the contents away, wash in hot water, and restock, although it has only happened once.

I think these are India Moth's,but whatever they are, the only way I got rid of them was to smash them and watch food storage. Poison and foggers did not work.

I wish you well,

Amy

The moth parts are edible and won't hurt you. Remember that for hundreds of years, generations merely sifted out or picked out the insect parts. The food is edible and is still eaten this way, world-wide. Keeping the dry food stuffs in the referator, or first freeze 24-48 hours, kills most (dormant) eggs.

One way to deter insects from your food stuffs is to place bay leaves inside each container of rice, flour, sugar, etc. This has worked here over 30 yrs.

Back in the 1960s moths got into my sweater drawer and ruined some of my favorites; i learned this while at a party at college; had to duck into the House Mother's apt to sew up all the holes. Since then, i've made doubly sure clothes are always completely clean b4 storing them in the closet or chest of drawers. They are drawn by the teeniest speck of food.

Moths are repelled by cedar. Get some blocks of cedar to hang up in your closet and place inside your drawers. You can get cedar chips, sold for gerbil bedding, to use inside sachet bags; if you don't sew, use glue. Be creative. My grandmother kept clothing that attracted moths in her cedar chest. Nowadays you can line your entire closet in cedar if you choose.

Make sure you never put your clothes away dirty.

Lavander also help to keep them away both before or after.

It seems that overnight our kitchen has been infested with bugs! Most of them are potato bugs and little tiny tan colored moths. They fly around everywhere and leave their egg sacks and larvae in all our crevices! How can we get rid of them?

Mindy

I, too, have had those little moths and they are a pain. I've had to throw away so much food over the last year, especially wheat products. I talked to the manager at my grocery store and he suggested I try wiping down my cupboards with vinegar. It didn't seem to work for me, but you might want to give it a try. Please let me know if you get any responses. Thanks and blessings on you.

Rhonda

Here's a good answer to this question from a government website. Northern Prairie Wildlife Research Center:

I brought those moths home in some grain from my health food store. I thought they were clothes moths and sprayed and bought so much cedar and nothing worked. Then I called my state's cooperative exchange college and found out that they are food moths. They recommended a spray with pyrethrum(don't know if the spelling is correct, but it is a derivitive from the crysanthyum flower). I had to remove everything from the pantry and seal it tight and wipe it down but I got rid of the monsters. I also sprayed inside the bindings of all of my books in the library because they liked the glue. What a job!

Buy Pantry Pest -- You get two in a box. Place in your cupboard or pantry. It is a lure for the males -- they are attracted to the scent. The moths stick to it and die, thus controlling their mating with female moths. Keep buying new ones every few months to keep the situation under control. It takes a while to get rid of these critters because they lay their eggs all over!