Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

We are potty training a toddler at our house and she had an accident on the couch. How do I get the smell out of the cushions?

MB in WY

Answers:

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Soak up as much as possible with towels. Then put liberal amt. of borax on stain. Leave it on and it will turn yellow. Remove it and keep repeating until borax stays white and stain and smell will be gone. (06/14/2004)

By Toni K.

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Pour a generous amount of vinegar on the area. Then turn the cushion on its side and let it dry for a day or two. The vinegar smell will go away. I have four children and several pets - have used this many times on sofas, mattresses, and carpet. (06/15/2004)

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

My grandson wet our bed, and my daughter kept it from getting an odor by using baking soda and peroxide. Would have to be careful the peroxide doesn't bleach out any colors, however. (06/15/2004)

By Phyllis Girard

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

The baking soda/peroxide would work to get the stain out, and no, peroxide will not bleach out any colors. I use it as a stain remover for everything from grape juice to blood, on any fabric and it's doesn't effect the color. Vinegar is the best solution for odors of that nature. If the smell is too strong, use 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar. I too have kids and pets, and it's the best I've found for odor removal. (06/17/2004)

By Jamie Shouse

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

I recently got a cloth covered office chair that accidentally got very moist tomato salsa over the back. After getting the salsa off, I filled a bucket with hot water, laundry soap, and baking soda, scrubbing vigorously for several minutes. While it got visibly clean, some of the odors were still there. I found a laundry stain treatment and covered the area thoroughly and let it sit for about 30 minutes or so. Then I scrubbed the areas vigorously again, rinsing it with water mixed with baking soda and a wet rag about three times. After spraying it with a mild disinfectant deodorizer, I can't even detect any lingering odors.

Good luck! I hope it works for you too! (03/04/2007)

By Jesse

Freshen couch cushions

I myself, have couch cushions with "batting" in them, which makes them extremely difficult to wash. To freshen them up, from our Chihuahuas jumping on them, and our family coming and going, I throw in 2 pillows at a time in the dryer with several fabric softner "Snuggle" sheets, within 5 minutes the whole house smells wonderful! (04/15/2007)

By Kim

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

My Pug has urinated many times on the couch. I don't know why, but he has finally stopped doing it. Anyway, the smell is awful if you are sitting on the couch. I took all the cushions out of the material and soaked them in the bathtub with a vinegar/water mix. They need to dry outside on a warm day too. I also put the material in the washer with vinegar and detergent. It really works, lots of work though. :) (05/24/2008)

By Precious

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Use a pet enzyme spray found in Walmart, grocery stores, etc. Use a very liberal amount and let stand dry. If it doesn't come out, turn the couch over and clean it that way. You will have to clean it a few times. Maybe a few days. This works on leather, floors, fabric, and more. If not sure, test spot. You can also use a cleaner after you have outdone the enzyme. It has worked for me on many occasions. (12/28/2008)

By lisa

A vintage couch with many cushions.
Removing Odors From Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Upholstered couch with soft cushions.
Making Couch Cushions Firmer
Couch Cushions Being Cleaning
Cleaning Cushions
🎄