Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

My daughter recently had an "accident" on my couch after sneaking down to sleep there during the night. Seeing as how it sat there all night, the urine soaked deep down into the couch cushion. I tried spot cleaning with no luck at removing the smell. I finally removed the cushions and soaked them with bleach water, rinsed out, and squeezed as much water out of it as I could over the next few days as I let them air dry in the hot sun.

Now that they are dry, the entire cushion smells horrible. The water I was squeezing out of the wet cushions did not smell at all, so I am really shocked by this (really wondering if there was a reaction between the cushion material and the bleach that caused this). I tried spraying it down with a vinegar water solution and let it dry again, that didn't help at all.

The dumpster is looking like my only option right now, but I really can't afford to buy a new couch and even replacing the cushion is out of my budget from what I have seen online. Any ideas?

By cutecrys

Answers:

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Pour baking soda or a carpet powder used for getting pet odors out on the spot and leave it there over night. Really rub it in to the spot. Then vacuum it off. You may need to repeat the process. (09/08/2009)

By Tannac

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

It could be a reaction between the soaking solution, the urine, and the foam. I would leave it outside as long as you can, even a month, in the sun if possible, and see if that helps at all. I had to do that with a pillow that had a horrible smell. (09/10/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

Could you possibly afford to purchase some new foam and have a friend or family member (or yourself) who is good at sewing open the cover seams, replace the foam and re-sew? You can hand wash the cover with mild soapy water and allow to air dry after removing and before placing in the new foam. (09/11/2009)

By Deeli

Getting Smell out of Couch Cushions

You are probably dealing with several odors. What has worked for me in the past is an enzyme based cleaner. This will "eat" whatever it is causing the odor. I buy mine at a company that sells commercial cleaning supplies. Google it for your area or check you phone book. (09/13/2009)

By lostinthe

A vintage couch with many cushions.
Removing Odors From Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Repairing Lumpy Couch Cushions
Photo of a furniture spring isolated on white.
Repairing Couch Springs
Upholstered couch with soft cushions.
Making Couch Cushions Firmer
Couch Cushions Being Cleaning
Cleaning Cushions
🎉
🎄