Getting Whites White

How do I get whites whiter in the laundry? I normally use a rust out product from Wal-Mart but was wondering if anything like vinegar, baking soda or something else cheaper would work? We have hard water - live in the country.

Thanks in advance for any helps or hints.

Patti from N Manchester, IN

Answers:

Whiter Whites - Tips For Washing White Clothing

I always find that adding a handful of baking soda to my wash-load really helps to deep-clean the fabrics without wearing them out. (01/21/2007)

By Liz

I also use the "Iron Out" product and it is not cheap but have found that it is less expensive than buying new whites. My local Tractor Supply store has it cheaper because you can buy it in bulk also when washing make sure you do a full load so that you only have to use the amount directed once. I have a huge plastic container that I soak my white in and I can get 2 loads of whites and only use 1/2 cup of product this stretches my bottle and I have found that I don not have to replace it as often. Iron Out is well worth the money especially if you have hard water. (01/24/2007)

By Greg1796

Concerning the Wash in cold water post... I have seen this post several times in response to other laundry issues. Logically it does not add up. If using hot water "cooks" a stain then what does putting it into a dryer do? Detergent Manufacturers advise hotel laundries to raise the water temps 10 - 15 degrees in order to boost the performance of the detergents. Yes, some fabrics require cold water but with proper pretreatment Hot is still the best for whites. (01/24/2007)

By Greg1796

I use Iron Out on whites and its great. But, can you use them on whites with colored embroidery/logo? Will it discolor the embroidery? (07/30/2007)

By Kelly

White t-shirts hanging on a clothesline.
Getting Your Whites Really White
Stack of white linens with a white flower resting on top
Cleaning Whites Without Bleach
Beating Egg Whites
Tips for Beating Egg Whites
Bluing
Using Bluing
Distressed woman looking at white towel in laundry room
Whites Aren't White After Washing
🎉
🎄