Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying

How can I stop my cat from spraying around the house? He's a 4 year old tabby and he's never done this before. It's embarrassing to walk in with company and the house smells like a skunk, gross smell. I've found several of his spots and I clean it up and bleach it, just to find that he's sprayed another spot. Thankfully he hasn't done it on the carpet. He's even gone on some shoes and some clothes. It's getting really annoying not to mention costly. I hope someone can help me with this. My thanks in advance.

Rosa from Las Vegas, NV

Answers:

Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying

Get your cat neutered. That's the best way to prevent spraying. (01/12/2009)

Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying

First just in case, make sure his litter box is cleaned to the nines. Secondly, make sure his litter is constantly cleared of waste. As soon as he's done his bit, remove it. Have you brought in a new pet recently? If so, he could be showing signs of marking his territory. If not, he might be showing signs of boredom. It's hard to say. I have 3 cats, and only had the occasional spray issue. Usually its when I have visited somewhere there's been a cat, and they pick up the scent when I come home. Then I have had the surprise spray, usually on my footwear.

There is a product called "Right Away" by Professor Amos, that you can order on line, and it removes all traces of the odour. It works like a charm. Good luck. (01/14/2009)

By hedera

Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying

Neutered cats will spray. I have three male cats all of whom are fixed. The two older ones will spray sometimes if there is tension between them. Neutering is no guarantee they will stop spraying, but you should have your cat neutered if it's not already. (01/14/2009)

By virraszto

Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying

I started reading a book called "The Cat Who Cried for Help" by Nicholas Dodman. I found it at my local library or here's the link to Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/Cat-Who-Cried-Help-Psychology/dp/0553378546).

Although I never had this problem with my cats, I found his stories and information about spraying to be very interesting. One thing that stuck out to me was that sometimes when a cat sprays on a person or person's items, it is trying to "mark" you. Anyway, check out the book for try to do a search online for more information about this book. Good luck. (01/16/2009)

By khilde80

Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying
Spraying cat
Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying Inside
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎄
🍂
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on November 18, 2016 at 2:04:46 PM on 10.0.0.21 in 993 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.