Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying

I own two domestic cats and last year picked up an injured feral kitten. He has lived quite happily with us for over year and comes into the house, but we cannot get close to him (he had a bad experience with humans).

Recently another tom cat has been visiting my patio and eating the cat food. This is not a problem in itself, but the feral cat who for obvious reasons has never been neutered has now started spraying the house.

I don't want to do anything to discourage my other two cats from coming into the house; I just need a solution to deter the spraying. Please help, my house stinks and I am spending a fortune on Febreze.

By Jane from Malaga, Spain

Answers:

Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying

You are going to have to get proactive with your little guys. I know catching them will be hard, but it is not impossible. You can use live traps that are either purchased or homemade. Neutering is a must in your situation. Not doing so makes it impossible to even start with your trouble. When handling a feral cat, immobilizing the feet by wrapping them snugly in a towel will help in getting them in and out of the carrier. Your vet and his techs are well trained in dealing with feral animals.

Be certain the cat box(es) are very clean. You may need to use two or more with multiple cats, especially males. While they are at the vet for neutering, you can take the opportunity to use a good neutralizer on all the spots that have been sprayed. Do not use any cleaners with ammonia inn them as this will attract the cats to the very same spots. Best wishes! I know you are trying hard to make a great home for them. (01/08/2010)

By caninecodependent

Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying
Spraying cat
Getting a Cat to Stop Spraying Inside
Cat Meowing
Preventing A Cat From Meowing
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
🎄