Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo

Parvo is a very contagious disease, the virus can remain active in your home and yard for some time. This is a guide about getting a puppy after losing one to parvo.

I lost two Husky pups just a month ago. We treated the yard and we bought new pups, this time cross breeds. We vaccinated them and their new vaccinations are due in 2 weeks. Do you think it was wise to get new pups? I did wash my walls, floors, yard? Will they be OK?

i am so sorry for your loss. it is the LITTLE things you must not neglect that the deceased came in contact with. Even LEASHES! http://www.akc.  arvo-in-puppies/

You do not make it clear exactly when you brought the new pups home so were they vaccinated before you brought them home? You lost 2 puppies only one month ago and now there are 2 new puppies with only their first vaccination shots? I really believe you are taking a very big chance of having these pups become infected as well.

Do you have someplace else the puppies can stay for a few weeks? You will be very, very lucky if these pups do not become infected as almost no amount of cleaning can kill this virus that quickly.

There is some differences of opinion on how long this virus is contagious but it is very clear that it will not even be "weak" in that short a period as this virus can even live in the grout or cracks in your floor and can be tracked inside on the soles of your shoes.

I sincerely hope that your house and yard were thoroughly cleaned and that your pups will be safe as puppies are not considered "safe" from Parvo until after the second vaccination and some take longer.

Puppies generally are vaccinated at 6 - 8 weeks, 10 - 12 weeks and sometimes 14-16 weeks.

Indoor decontamination:

Indoors, virus loses its infectivity within one month; therefore, it may/should be safe to introduce a new puppy indoors one month after the active infection has ended.

Outdoor decontamination:

Shaded areas should be considered contaminated for seven months.

Areas with good sunlight exposure should be considered contaminated for five to eight months.

Some reports suggest that parvo can live in the environment from 7 or 8 months to 2 years.

http://murraybr  me%20cleanup.pdf

Yes we lost the huskies then we disinfected the yeard and house inside out with F10 and Virukill i washed my walls floors yard grass plants cars every single thing furnature etc. When the garden services come i still spray their equipment also. As for the virukill it states that i can give the pups about 15ml in their water every week that will kill other viruses livjng inside the pups. Second vaccination due comming week. Pups are 9 weeks+. They seem fine though. Very happy and content. I know it was very soon i just pray they survive

I recently fostered a puppy who had been treated for parvovirus just before I got her. I also have a Rottie of my own who is currently on steroids for mild wobblers and had surgery 6 months ago for a spinal cyst. Is my Rottie in any danger of contracting the virus? Is her immune system compromised due to the steroids? She was vaccinated over a year ago. Is my yard in need of sanitizing? If puppy's parvo was treated before coming to my home, is the yard stil a hazard?

By AV

Best Answer

Yes, the yard is still a hazard. I'm assuming your dog has been vaccinated for Parvo. If you were concerned at all about fostering a puppy that had been treated for Parvo, I have to wonder at your reasoning for doing that. Or maybe this is just hindsight.

A puppy that has been treated for Parvo can carry it in its body for some time after, and the feces is contaminated. Only dogs that are fully vaccinated should be in your house or yard.

I have a 9 year old Pit and a 3 year Mati-Shit Tzu. In January we rescued a puppy, but the puppy got parvo and died shortly after. We bleached the entire area and continue to bleach the area periodically. Both our dogs have had boasters and show no sign of parvo. We are in the process of rescuing another puppy, 8 weeks old. He has gotten his first set of shots. Do we need to keep the dogs separated?

It's always a gamble when rescuing a puppy. You can't keep it separate from the other dogs because they have to accept it as a member of the pack. Also, the puppy must be socialized to other dogs during its formative weeks.

Parvo is dangerous, but it isn't possible to keep dogs in quarantine all the time. Though the parvo vaccine is often effective it isn't 100 percent effective.

Since your adult dogs have had all shots and seem healthy, and they had a chance to catch it and didn't, it seems unlikely they will.

Your other choices are to adopt a puppy that has already had its shots and seems to have been socialized to people and other dogs already, to adopt another adult dog, or to forgo getting another dog. But there are never any guarantees. You're taking a minor chance no matter what. One thing you should not do is raise a puppy during his socialization period in isolation.

Our puppy from the shelter had TWO parvo vaccines. A few days after bringing her home the shelter told us one of the littermates had tested positive. Four of the eight ended up getting it. And ours went into the vet 7 days later. She looked at first as if she would rebound, but after two nights she started getting worse and finally after four nights her white blood cell count was 0. Completely heart breaking. Ours is the only one that passed. I would say vaccines are NOT a giving at all.

I had a male and female Rottweiler puppy and they died due to the parvo virus. I miss them, that's why I am thinking of getting a new puppy. After 2 weeks is it safe to get a new puppy?

No it is not safe. You will need to disinfect your whole house and anything the other puppies touched. Many people disinfect their yards. You will find many posts on this site on how to do this. You would be really wise to get a puppy that has completed its parvo vaccinations. Of not, maybe you could train your puppy to puppy pads until he has completed his vaccinations. Parvo virus lives in the soil (or elsewhere) for years.

As Lizzyanny said, definitely not safe after two weeks. You haven't had time to steam clean or shampoo carpets and upholstery, Lysol the floors, wash all throws and stuff. You have to do this. And all the puppy things like toys and bowls need to be disinfected or destroyed.

If they went on puppy pads that's one thing, but if they pooped outside at all you'll need a lawn disinfectant that is safe for animals. However, it is safest to wait 5 to seven months for the virus to die.

I had a puppy that died from parvo. If I get another puppy that already has its shots can it still get the parvo virus?

By NLM from Easley, SC

Anonymous

I bread and raise pitbulls. And I've been doing it areally long time now. I've lost lot's of pups to the parvo virus. But never have i ever lost one after giving them their first shot at 4 weeks old, never. Every one I've vasinated never contracted the virus, ever. Never tried the bleach tho, wouldn't put my dog at risk like that. The best thing, make sure your pup has had their shots. I know for a fact that work for sure

You just gave me some hope. I got a puppy had it for 3 days and it died from parvo. I've been reading all the reviews and everyone said don't get another puppy they will get it and die.

It isn't 100% that a new puppy will get it but I would not let the puppy on grass till it is old enough for its shots and even then I would be sure I had the supplies I would need to fight parvo.You see parvo doesn't kill your puppy.Its the symptoms like dehydration and the blood becoming poison in their system. Always hydrate them as much as possible ! Parvo gets in their lymph nodes in their throat and intestinal track.Makes them stop drinking because their throat hurts and they will have pain in their tummy.not to mention they will run a temp.

My daughter lived with 2 years ago. Her dog somehow got parvo, and survived and lived in my house for those years. He hasn't lived with me for a year now, but still comes over. He doen't go to the bathroom in my house, but outside, yes. Well, I'm getting a new puppy, what should I do? Is my daughter's dog still contagious after all this time?

By Dottie

I rescued some puppies that had Parvo, from my experience and what a Vet told me, your house and yard can be dangerous for up to 2-3 years after. House can be bleached to help keep next animal safe. As for yard- make sure puppy get his/her shots before going outside or train them in another part of the yard where the other dog with parvo wasn't at.

By the way, a dog that got over Parvo, will not get it again, and if totally over it, cannot spread Parvo.

Don't know if I got this to you or not, but here goes again.

After rescuing some puppies with Parvo, what I learned and what a Vet told me. That as long as your house is well bleached your house will be fine. Please bleach your house even though the dog didn't mess in your house. Think of a cough and how it spreads when cleaning areas where her dog was. As for your yard, it is NOT safe for a puppy with no shots to be in that yard. The yard will be a danger for 2-3 yrs for a dog with no or just 2 shots. Must have 3rd shot to be safe. If getting a puppy use another part of the yard where the other dog that had Parvo didn't use. Once a dog is over Parvo, they cannot get it back, and can't spread it.

I have had three dogs, one we sadly just gave away a couple months ago. He had never been vaccinated, a friend wanted him after we had him over a year. We then adopted two from the shelter one is around two years. It is a Husky mix and the other an American Staff who was about 2 months when we adopted her. We got them in October 2012, by December we noticed her foaming and very limp and not eating or drinking. She would hide for about two days in a roll.

Then we decided to take her to the vet. They diagnosed her with parvo we spent over $200 for medicines and to bring her home to hope for the best. I cared for her and she survived. The other two dogs that were around, which are males, never got sick and they were in the yard she was in sick and inside. We kept her in the kennel until she got better.

So now we just got a new puppy over the weekend for my daughter's bday. He is a tiny full blood Chihuahua. He was very hyper and always running around the past two days. I noticed yesterday he has just been sleeping. He's at least 3-4 months old. I am a bit worried he may have caught it, if it's possible. Or he could be just warming up to his new family. Any advice is appreciated. I know the only way to get an answer would be to just take him to vet, but not if there isn't a chance he could have gotten it. Also because he is mostly inside and I have small children who love to carry him around I am afraid my kids might get sick if possible!

By Ariana

Your kids can't get parvo from the puppy. You did not say whether the puppy had been vaccinated. If he has the chances of dying from parvo are less. Your puppy could have picked up parvo from virus left from the previous sick dog.

You can clean areas where the sick dog was with a bleach solution, but the safest thing is just not to bring an unvaccinated dog into the same environment as a sick dog. If your puppy doesnt perk up soon I would get it to a Vet asap. If it is showing signs of parvo it should not be vaccinated now. You will have to wait and see if it survives the disease.

Your dog that caught parvo is now a carrier that means that the new Chihuahua can easily get parvo just by drinking out of the same water bowl as the dog who has had parvo before. Parvo is spread thru saliva which is bad because all puppies do is lick. So keep the chihuahua away from the one who has been previously infected. The only way to kill the virus is bleach. Put it in your yard and all over your house. Do not miss a spot.

Parvo is so serious and I almost can't believe you admitted to having dogs without getting any vaccinations. If you don't vaccinate you can get parvo or distemper and they will die. Go to an animal feed store now and get vaccinations for like 7 dollars each.

I have one parvo survivor and one puppy who died of parvo.These animals lives are precious so think next time before you waste those 7 dollars on a big Mac and go vaccinate your dogs.

We just recently went thru losing 3 puppies to parvo, so I understand your grieve and sorry for your loss. But we did find out humans can't get sick from puppy parvo...

The staffy pup I brought home from the shelter had parvo. She soiled twice on my carpet. I quickly cleaned it up and then we used a trigene disinfectant from the vet and sprayed the carpet many times. She also vomited once outside and we dug out the soil about 2 feet and bleached the area. The pavers have been bleached and all floors have been bleached. My pup had to be put down, she was so young and sick. How long should we wait until anther pup can come into my home?

Many thanks,
Colleen

It takes longer than 24-48 for a shot to work, it is more like 2 weeks. If a pup has already been exposed to parvo, it's not a good idea to give the shot, as the shot brings down the immune system, better to wait a couple of weeks, then give the shot, best thing is ask your vet...but if I knew it was in my house or yard, don't give a shot and let your new pup on the floor or yard, they most likely will come down with parvo. No one has a difinite time frame of how long it is in the environment, months - years, depends, bleach is all you can do, but you can't wipe out every trace of it in your yard. Best to use a shot called Neopar at the age of 5 to 6 weeks, keep you pup away from everything, possibly crated for 2 weeks, keep your hands clean or wear gloves, you can have the germ on your hands and bring to your pup. All puppies should have a series of 4 shots, with the last one being around 16 weeks. Shot at 6 weeks is not going to do it, 2 sets will not do it.

It's best to bring in a pup that has had all it's shots, or keep one quaranteened till it has completed all it's shots.

Parvo is bought in on your shoes, picked up at Petsmart or other places that allow pets (I honestly believe that should be OUTLAWED), can be picked up at the vets office, cats or other animals can bring it on their feet to your yard. This is really scary stuff, and people need to know all these things when they think of getting a pet or a new pet to replace the one they lost to parvo. If you don't know the do's and don'ts, do your research then when you feel you have provided a safe environment for a new pup, and time has passed, then get another one.

My vet told me, one client had a pup to die from parvo, got new pup 2YEARS later, it came down with parvo...so it's there, we don't know how long...so please think before you go do something that will only make the situation worse.

We got a pup and it was 6-8 weeks old. after a few weeks she became sick and thats when we found out she had parvo. We thought she was gonna get over it, but it was just so hard knowing she was gonna die. I prayed to god every night and every time I seen her mess or vomit. it was the worst thing ever had to go through watching my puppy die, and there was nothing I could do. We wanna get another pup but we are not sure what we need to do, before bringing the pup home.

Bleach will NOT work outside! Use Shacklee Basic G, it kills the Parvo in the grass, on the ground but won't kill the grass or pollute the ground.

BTW, Parvo stays on and in the ground a year if not treated and it can be tracked home by anyone who goes in your yard.

We got a puppy 1 year and 5 months ago, and it turned out it had parvo virus. She had gotten it whilst still with her mum. We only had her in our house and yard for two days before taking her to the vet, we had to get her put down unfortunately.

We are thinking about getting another puppy that will be 8 weeks old. After the ordeal with our previous pup we cleaned the house as well as we could and the backyard.

We are still not 100% sure about getting another puppy as it is a risk. Any suggestions or advice?

Thanks.

By Tash

I'm pretty sure you'd be okay if you get a puppy after it has had all its initial shots. The risk would be present but low.

I had a 5 week old German Shepherd puppy previously which I rescued that didn't have any shots or been de-wormed. It died on March 19th. Unfortunately, it was cured of parvo the week earlier but died due to other complications.

Is it alright for us to bring in a new German Shepherd that is 2 months old that has had its parvo vaccination and been de-wormed? We have cleaned inside and out our whole house, including the garden. Please I need your advice.

6 months ago I lost my 11 month old puppy Ace to this horrible virus. I was told that this is long enough and that if I get a new puppy they will be OK. Is this correct or not? My boy was American Staffy X Aussie Bulldog can anyone tell me what breeds are more susceptable?

By Cheryl K

Rottweilers, Doberman Pinschers, Labrador Retrievers, American Staffordshire Terriers and German Shepherds are most succeptible.

Did you steam clean or shampoo the carpets? Have you thrown away all bedding, toys, and food and water bowls? Have you mopped all floors with disinfectant solution?

Your new puppy should have at least one or two of its vaccinations in the series before you even bring it into the house. This will include Parvo.

I recently lost 2 Boston Terrier pups to parvo. They had their shots, and were 7 months old. They had gotten loose and went to the neighbor's yard, where the neighbor had already lost 2 pups to parvo, and has had several cases of parvo over the past 5 years; I found out.

We can quarantine the areas off so no person or animal can get to those areas, we bleached them, sun baked the bleach for 10 minutes (full strength), and then flooded the area with water. We have bleached our carpets, and bleach steam cleaned our hard wood floors, all concrete has been bleached, this process is being done every 30 days to make sure we kill off any Parvo in these areas.

How long before we can get a new Boston Terrier? We miss them so much. I gave them IVs, shots, Pedialyte, and Greek yogurt, but they only survived for 3 days. Any current information would be helpful. Thanks.

By Karen

First, I'm sorry for your loss. I assume you were taking them to the vet, because you said they had IVs. Why not give their vet a call and ask them about this? They probably know what needs to be done, and for how long, to make your property safe again. And if they got out through the fence, don't forget to check & make it puppy-proof so they cannot escape again!

I am so sorry for your loss. My heart breaks for you. I hope you have no problems this time around.

Anonymous

I lost my Rottweiler to pravo iam devastated. When can i get another puppy with complete dosage of shots

2 weeks ago my Dachshund puppy died from parvo. I bleached my whole yard and now we have decided to buy a Labrador puppy that has been vaccinated. Is it right to buy the puppy?

By Vishal

I'm sorry for your loss. I got a puppy a few years back and she apparently had parvo before we got her. We adopted her from an animal shelter. Our vet advised us to get an adult dog with all vaccinations. Well we did and not a month and a half later she had seven puppies. I did not want her to go back to the animal shelter so we just prayed they would be fine and kept them inside until they were about a month old. They are all almost two years old now and they are quite fine.

When you get your new dog I would make sure the mother had all of her shots and was taken care of properly. A lot of people will tell you parvo lives forever in the dirt and all this but I honestly dont believe it. If your puppy that died was inside at all I suggest you you clean every place your puppy touched with vinegar (I didn't do a thing to my yard).

You can make homemade cleaning solutions with vinegar for your cloth items (couch) if need be. Obviously make sure they get their shots when theyre old enough. This is just speaking from experience. Good luck!

Load More