Gift Ideas for Your Boss

Woman in office attire holding out a wrapped gift with a row of people in suits in the background
Choosing the right gift for your boss can be a challenge. This is a guide about gift ideas for your boss.

I need some suggestions for a nice Christmas gift for my boss. He can afford to buy just about anything. What do you get for someone like that in the range of $25-$35?

Mom of 1 from Wilkesboro, NC

Best Answer

I would recommend a gift certificate to his favorite lunch restaurant or coffee place, something that shows that you have paid attention to what he likes. If you want to make it a little more personal, you could attach an inexpensive or handmade Christmas ornament for his tree.

Best Answer

I'd recommend a nice bottle of wine, if he drinks.

Or maybe go somewhere like Things Remembered, and find a pen or something he could use at work, and have it engraved. They have quite a few nice sale items during Christmas.

Best Answer

I have a sort of step-dad like that, & what I've found he appreciates most (that he can't buy) are homemade things... Like home baked cookies, etc. In fact you could give your boss a tin of several different types you've baked & a "gift certificate card" for another 11 batches, one batch per month for the next year. Or you could sign him up for a subscription to a magazine of his favorite hobby. The nice thing about a magazine subscription is that he'll think of you each month when he receives it. If you do choose to go this way, be sure to buy the first month's magazine at a stand & wrap it in a Christmas bag with a note. Another idea that most people don't buy these days is a fancy, really nice pen. Unless he already has one, this is one of those gift idea that makes you feel like a million bucks each time you use it! (Of course, there may be many others that Also buy him a pen!)

Best Answer

I've retired after 35 years as the big boss and have received many wonderful and thoughtful gifts--one that touched my heart was receiving a card from Heifer International, telling me that a donation of honey bees had been given in my name by an employee. Heifer International helps families in third world countries learn to help themselves. A gift of bees (under $20) or a gift of ducks, or a sheep, or goat-- is given to a family to nurture and then learn to harvest the product (i.e. the honey) to sell. Heifer International also requires the receiving family to "share" their bees (or other animal offspring) to help another family get started. A hand up--not a hand out. Heifer International is on line--you can spend a little or a lot--and you receive a beautiful gift card for the boss telling what has been done in his/her honor. I now use Heifer International for much of my gift giving. They even have programs for helping families in the USA.

Best Answer

I agree with the gentleman who said a gift to a charity in his name. I especially like the idea of helping people in other countries. Go to The Hunger Site online and you'll find tabs at the top for other issues. I think perhaps I'd choose the one for Child Health or Literacy. Your funds will go further than expected.

Otherwise, I'd consider giving him a card or something homemade.

Best Answer

I worked for a Dentist for many years and he LOVED homemade candy and cookies. As the first time I gave him a huge basket of homemade goodies, he got all watery eyed on me! It turned out his mother did stuff like that and it reminded him of her and then he just loved the goodies. I made it huge for his wife and kids, and made it every year thereafter. You can add like a smoked Hickory Farms summer sausage and cheese stuff like that. Have fun!

Best Answer

My husband has an office staff of 15 that we buy gifts for. We pay out of our own income, not money from the establishment. He usually only gets one gift in return; from his secretary. We don't expect any others. The gift that I love for him to get is a gift certificate to a restaurant. We don't eat out often, so this is a real treat.