Gift Ideas for a Developmentally Delayed Person

Category Gifts
Choosing the most appropriate gift for a developmentally delayed person is not too difficult if you know their likes and dislikes. This is a guide about gift ideas for a developmentally delayed person.

I am stuck for ideas on what to buy for a 21st birthday present for a disabled girl who is developmentally delayed, physically and intellectually. I don't want to buy anything breakable (especially glass). Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

Kat from Australia

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

What is her age intellectually? Gear the present to that age. Perhaps stuffed animals would be nice - or a t-shirt or other piece of colorful clothing. What kind of music does she respond to? a CD? A video? a mobile for above the bed? a nice blanket or quilt?

Best Answer

We have a friend who's similar to yours. I'm not sure that Halloween is quite as big a holiday in Australia as it is in the US, but our friend is crazy over Halloween t-shirts, witch hats, decorations, etc. She also loves a game called Pizza Party, which is easy, but doesn't have a childish theme.

Just like everyone else, disabled people have their own individual interests, so your friend may have different tastes. Lipgloss, handbags/purses, and other grown-up feminine items are usually popular, too.

Best Answer

I realize that you've already found the perfect gift for this young lady, but you may want to get something for her another day. Depending on her mental/emotional age she would probably enjoy a colorful 'picture' book. If she's not able to take care of a standard book, buy her a board book like The Rainbow Fish. It has gorgeous pictures of fish and other sea creatures. If she is more advanced, she might enjoy a book about her town that she might recognize specific locations/sites. She will be able to visit her special places any time she wants, just by looking at her picture book. The other 'best' gift idea for these wonderful children is puzzles with pieces that are just the right size for her abilities. My aunt was 'delayed' and these things gave her pleasure time after time.

Best Answer

I have a 24 year old developmentally delayed son. He loves books that read to him. Depending on how disabled they love money to shop and don't just give large bills we give all one dollar bills. Also most the kids seem to love music how about a portable CD player. Good Luck!

Best Answer

My sister in-law is 25 and still she loves the classic Disney movies. Try a gift Basket filled with one movie theme! Also Harry Potter and fantasy movies can open up a whole world of gift basket ideas

Best Answer

How about Gift cards to restaurants, nail salons, zoos, museums, theme parks or other places that the person would enjoy visiting.

Thank you for these ideas. Perhaps my son would like a digital picture frame where the pictures continue moving when it is turned on. Also, I'm thinking of getting him a "pillow pet" or something like it: a soft pillow with a light in it or that shines on the ceiling when turned on.

Anonymous

You have many great ideas and a very good understanding of disabled children, Good on you!!

Anonymous

I think taking time to be with the young person either at home or a outing to something fun like a concert, play, shopping, a movie, out to eat. Anything that the two of you would enjoy doing together.

I live near Bedford could you please tell me the name of the center?