Giving Pills to Dogs

Giving Pills to Dogs

How can I get my dog (a 9 year old Westie) to take her pills? I have tried hiding it in every food possible. She always eats the food and dumps the pill on the floor. I have tried steak, hot dogs, cheeses, strong-smelling foods, etc. No luck. She is too smart. Help, please.

She has to take 1 antibiotic (had ACL surgery), 1 pain pill, and 1 allergy pill. We have run out of ideas. Thanks for any help you can provide.

By Candace from Scottsdale, AZ

Answers:

Giving Pills to Dogs

I give my dog pills by opening her mouth and putting them at the back of her tongue. I then give her a treat. She comes over to me at night after I take my meds and sit and waits for me to give her hers. (01/31/2010)

By LorettaEbony

Giving Pills to Dogs

I use peanut butter mixed with uncooked oatmeal. I crush the pill first, then mix in the powder, and roll the mixture into a ball. My dog loves these. (01/31/2010)

By kidbiz48

Giving Pills to Dogs

My dog takes 2 pills every day. I order deli meat sliced very thin (ham, bologna, even turkey). I cut a slice in half and wrap it around a pill and feed it to her, holding her chin up so she swallows it. If her head points down sometimes she spits the pill out. This way one slice works for 2 pills and she loves it. No trouble giving her pills this way. Give it a try. The thin slices make it easier to form around the pill. (01/31/2010)

By OliveOyl

Giving Pills to Dogs

Get your vet to show you how to pill the dog. We always just open the mouth and pop the pill in and then clamp the mouth shut. If you're right handed, use the left hand over the head and grasp the muzzle. Lift open the mouth with your fingers (thumb and middle finger) sort of pressing into the area between the back teeth.

Press and lift. Quickly, with the right drop the pill in (may use an eraser of a pencil to push it down just a little. Quickly clamp the mouth shut and with the right hand rub the throat in downward movement until the dog swallows. Then lavish the hugs and praises as if they had done a wonderful thing. It's easier than it sounds. (01/31/2010)

By Glenn'sMom

Giving Pills to Dogs

They do have things called "pill pockets." They come in small, medium and large. You just push the pill in and smash the end closed. They are liver flavored. Most dogs love them. If I have to give medication to one dog and not the other, I'll just give the one an "empty" pill pocket. Petsmart and Petco sell these. (02/01/2010)

By Artlady

Giving Pills to Dogs

Mine never fail to swallow if the pill is in a lump of butter. (02/01/2010)

By muttmom

Giving Pills to Dogs

Betty, I don't know a lot about dogs (I have cats, which are usually worse than dogs when it comes to medication). Have you tried Pill Pockets? I checked, and I know they make them for dogs. You place the pill inside of the Pill Pocket which is made of something tasty for the animal, pinch it closed and feed it to them like a treat. I've had some good luck with those. I have also crushed the pills, put the powder in a syringe, mixed in some water or broth, then squeeze into their mouth (this requires 2 people with a cat, not sure about a dog). Check on the Pill Pockets; he'll be fooled into thinking he's getting a treat. Good Luck! (02/01/2010)

By charlaew

Giving Pills to Dogs

We put the pill in a dab of smooth peanut butter or cream cheese and put it on a plate. My daughter was told to stick it on the roof of the dog's mouth (60+ pound dog). Both methods work with Mr. Picky. (02/01/2010)

By cookwie

Giving Pills to Dogs

The best way I have ever given any pet a pill is to grind it up, either with a mortar and pestle or just use the back of a spoon. Then mix it in something they really like, even canned food. They can't spit it out that way and aren't as likely to taste it if it is in something very flavorful. (02/02/2010)

By Beth

Giving Pills to Dogs

The best way to give medication to your baby who wont swallow or eat them in food is to take all the pills you need to give him put them in a coffee cup let your water in faucet run until its very hot and add about 5 tablespoons of that hot water to the pills and let dissolve. Then take a large animal syringe when water has cooled and suck up medication water then add cold water to this where syringe is full, hold finger over hole and shake then hold your pets mouth open and quickly push the plunger, this should work and be a lot easier on you. Deby (02/02/2010)

By YORKIEPOO

Medication for a sick Golden Retriever puppy.
Giving Pills to Dogs
Preventing Heartworms in Dogs
How Do Dogs Get Heartworms?
Aspirin
Giving Dogs Aspirin
Razor For Removing Fabric Pills
Removing Pills From Fabric
pill splitter
Splitting Pills
🎉
🎄