Giving a Dog Medication

How can you give a dog medication if he won't take it orally?

Bear's Owner from Rockford, IL

Answers:

Giving a Dog Medication

It depends on the medication, but you might be able to hide in his food. I'd give your vet a call, he'll be able to instruct you. (09/06/2006)

By Debbie52

Giving a Dog Medication

Our Australian Shepherd rarely gets any "people food", but we noticed that he loves cheese. When we need to give him his monthly pill we put it in the center of a small cube of soft cheese. He almost turns inside out with excitement when he smells the cheese and just gulps it down without a clue. We usually use Velveeta, but other kinds work as well. (09/06/2006)

By Grandma Margie

Giving a Dog Medication

I take a piece of cheddar cheese, cut into several small pieces (or any treat Bear might like). Bury the pill into one piece, show the treat give one then quickly the medication one and then finally a third piece. Hopefully the medication one will be downed very quickly in order to get the 3rd or 4th piece of treat. (09/06/2006)

By Streatch

Giving a Dog Medication

Sausage, or as we call it "magic sausage" for Charlie. We would give it to him with baby aspirin (just one) when he sniffed a porcupine or hit a truck. He didn't know it made him feel better.

If it is large, you may be able to split it into two, or grind it into ground meat. Call your vet to make sure it will not affect absorbency. (09/07/2006)

By camo_angels

Giving a Dog Medication

Go to Petvetdirect.com and you'll find pill pockets.
They look like a treat that you slide the meds into. My Cocker loves them and they come in lots of flavors. (09/08/2006)

By Annie

Giving a Dog Medication

Dogs or cats, they all love a pill in peanut butter. I put a small amount of peanut butter on the end of my finger, "fold" the pill into it. Then turn your finger up, (my dog is dying to get it at by now), and I wipe it on the roof of their mouth, and we're done. All the licking gets the pill down. (09/08/2006)

By Glinda

Giving a Dog Medication

We have to give my Bichon allergy pills every day. We got some fat free wieners at the grocery store and put the pill inside a piece of the wiener. This is also her treat for the day. My mother has often told me that my father (who used to raise dogs for extra money) would put the pill into the dogs mouth, hold his mouth shut and would just stroke his throat. The dog would swallow the pill.

(09/08/2006)

By Peggy

Giving a Dog Medication

We have large dog that will not no let us give him pills, so the pill goes into a teaspoon of cottage cheese, or a spoon of moist cat food, or we are now using a dab of Cool Whip and put the pill in that. He thinks he is getting a treat. (09/10/2006)

By Rosa

Giving a Dog Medication
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Cats
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Pets
cat
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
A puppy scratching at fleas.
Giving Medication to Pets
A dog with a thermometer in his mouth.
Keeping Track of Pet Medication
🎄