Giving a Dog Medication

Have folks found any treats that work for giving dogs liquid medicine? Our dog will be cared for by a cat-lover who is intimidated at having to open her mouth to squirt the syringe contents in.

I'd love to find something he could fill with the tsp of liquid medicine, seal with liverwurst, and then offer to her on a plate or on his open palm.

By Pet Lover from Seattle

Answers:

Giving a Dog Medication

Our Dalmatian has epilepsy and I've been giving her medication for eight years. I added liquid medication to bread and she would eat it that way. When she was tired of that, I asked a compounding pharmacy to make the Rx into a capsule form that she can swallow with dog food. This works great! Check with a compounding pharmacy for other methods to make the Rx. They can make it into different flavors too like peanut butter! Good luck. (03/14/2010)

By JillED

Giving a Dog Medication

Practice at home and see if your dog will accept the liquid med mixed in with a spoonful of peanut butter. After mixing it in a bowl or cup, get it back on the spoon and your dog should lick it right off. I even let my dog lick the bowl, but don't tell my husband! He thinks that's gross! (03/16/2010)

By PainterLee

Giving a Dog Medication

Try putting liquid medications in low-salt beef or chicken broth. My dogs will drink it right out of a shallow dish. Most times I can just mix it in peanut butter like others have mentioned. I give it to them on my fingers or a small plate if it's a lot of liquid. Dogs are so gullible! They just love their treats. (03/16/2010)

By Artlady

Giving a Dog Medication

I think if it were me, I'd make two decent-sized balls from the liverwurst and split the liquid meds up into two doses of 1/2 tsp. per syringe, then squirt those into the middle of the ball (and quickly give the dog the dose before it seeps out).

Liquid is such a pain! Surprising that the vet couldn't substitute a tab or capsule to make it a little easier. (03/16/2010)

By PupperMom

Giving a Dog Medication
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Cats
Applying Topical Flea Medication on Pets
cat
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
A puppy scratching at fleas.
Giving Medication to Pets
A dog with a thermometer in his mouth.
Keeping Track of Pet Medication
🎄