Glass Block Christmas Decoration

I am making a lamp and need to know what you put on a glass block so that the x-mas lights won't show through. I am going to put some stickers on the outside, but they won't be enough.

By Terry from Seguin, TX

Answers:

Glass Block Christmas Decoration

The ones that I have seen only have a design on the front, either painted or decals or rub-ons. Then the people put a ribbon of the proper width all the way around the sides of the block. (10/10/2010)

By redhatterb

Glass Block Christmas Decoration

To add glitz and hide bulbs, I put in foily-type shiny tinsel! It reflects light and looks great! (10/14/2010)

By hesta

Glass Block Christmas Decoration

Just found the site, these are great tips. I found glass block at Menards with a nice cutout on one end. It has a variety of 'plugs' that allow for different types of inserts, from light cords and money banks to a large opening for flowers and such. They cost a little more at $6.99, are probably only around for the holidays too. However, if you're just making one or a few and don't want to invest in a special drill bit it's another option. Thanks. (11/13/2010)

By fisherko

Glass Block Christmas Decoration

To dry the inside of your block after washing out the glass dust, rinse with water and shake out as much as you can. Then turn upside down on your floor vent register overnight. The furnace air will blow it dry overnight! You can also do this with air conditioning or just the fan to furnace running. (11/18/2010)

By cegnosak

Glass Block Christmas Decoration

My wife wanted 10, so I purchased a 1/2" glass drill bit. I used a bucket and filled it with water just over the top of the brick. The brick actually floats, so you hold down the brick and then drill. The drill is cooled by the water and the brick does not overheat/crack. I did about 12 with the same drill bit. It was starting to get a little dull towards the end. The only thing to remember is don't submerge the drill itself in the water. You can usually tell when you are starting to break through the brick. (11/26/2010)

By djhaase

Glass Block Christmas Decoration

I use the frost spray paint, or Armour Etching cream. I'm finding that 35 lights isn't enough, so I have recently switched to 50. You can't use sealer on top of the frost, or the etching cream, it makes the glass see through again. I also use rub ons, and my all time favorite, window clings. I cut the clings out of the plastic that surrounds it, so that it's just the image. I use spray adhesive to permanently adhere it to the block. They are selling really well. (11/30/2010)

By Mokeaton

Glass block gift wrapped as a package.
Glass Block Christmas Decoration
snow glass block
Making a Snow Theme Lighted Glass Block
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
Woman in Green Shirt Cleaning Glass with Squeege
Cleaning Sliding Glass Doors
Gluing Glass to Glass
Gluing Glass to Glass
🎉
🎄