Gluing Glass to Metal

Category Glass Art
Some surfaces are more of a challenge to glue to each other. This is a guide about gluing glass to metal.

I have little 1 inch glass mirror rounds and need to know what kind of glue to use to bond them to metal and also to themselves for a hanging mobile.

Crafting is new territory for me. Should I buy a hot glue gun? Help!

By Jan from OH

Best Answer

http://www.thistothat.com/

Call JoAnn Fabric, I think they sell a special craft glue that will do the job.

Here's my problem. I bought a metal sculpture with lots of leaves and metal bars on it. The metal, I don't know what kind it is, it is painted black.

So I used my regular glue gun to attach flat glass pieces to it. But the glass pieces fall off. They do dry and seem to stay attached, but then they fall off. I tried Crazy glue, but it took forever to dry and they fell off right away. My glue gun says it can be used on metal and I'm not a very good crafter anyway, but I don't have any other ideas. I also have almost no crafting experience at all, a total novice.

I've been looking at other glues, but can't find one that says it will glue glass to metal. Some say you have to clamp it, but there's no way you can clamp to this sculpture. I don't have any clamps and want the easiest way to do it. I know I can buy clamps, but I'd need a ton of them to do what I want to do. And I don't think it's the way to go.

I think there must be a better solution, and an easier one. So that's why I'm asking "professional" crafters. There has to be some kind of glue out there.

Thanks for your help.

By metroplex

Answers:

Gluing Glass to Metal

E-6000 might work for you. Here is a PDF from the manufacturer, which has a good description:
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/_media/062106_e6_E.pdf

I've bought mine at Hobby Lobby, but I've also seen it at Michael's, and I think I've seen smaller tubes at Wal-Mart (although I won't promise about that last one!). At Hobby Lobby it can be found near the jewelry making supplies, or down the aisle with the adhesives. It has some toxic fumes, so work in a very well ventilated area!

Best of luck. I hope you find the perfect product for your project! (02/02/2010)

By mrs.story

Gluing Glass to Metal

Also perhaps you can find the glass beads that have crisscross indentations on the back for better grip and use any sticky tape to clamp your beads, but desticky it a bit on your clothes before wrapping it around. (02/08/2010)

By Ausjulie

Gluing Glass to Metal

The black on the metal seems to be the problem. Try lightly sanding the black off (I use nail files for softer filing). E-6000 is a good glue for this type of project. Depending on the size and weight of the glass, could you use clothes pins for the clamping? Dollar stores have bags of the clip type for $1-2. Painter's tape can also hold things in place until the glue dries. Good luck. (02/08/2010)

By suem1009

Gluing Glass to Metal

I cannot advise on the kind of glue, but you might consider using bungee cords. The ones that are black and flat on one side can be helpful as well as the round ones when it comes to reinforcing odd shapes or surfaces while waiting for glue to take hold. Another method is wrapping with Saran or shrink wrap then taping it temporarily. (02/09/2010)

By wonderlady4crafts

Gluing Glass to Metal

Update:

I used the E-6000 and it was a mess and didn't work. So much for my earring tree! But then I got lucky and my husband bought me a jewelry armoire for my birthday! Yeah! But I still didn't have room for my my earrings. I used the ring storing portion for them.

Thanks for all of your great solutions and suggestions. As usual everyone is so helpful and kind.

Thank you! (05/16/2010)

By metroplex