Gnats In My Home! How do I get them to leave?

I need these gnats gone! They are driving me crazy and they are nasty! We left for a few days and when we came back they were everywhere and they only thing i can think of where they came from is we left a tomato sitting out while we were gone and it split open. I have gotten rid of all the fresh fruits and vegetables in the house and I have cleaned everything! But they are still here! Please any idea would be great! How do I get rid of them?

Erricka

Answers:

You have taken the first steps in getting rid of the gnats - getting rid of all food. Don't leave dirty dishes in the sink, either. Take a small bowl and pour some vinegar into it, then squirt some dishwashing liquid in it. Leave it on the counter and the gnats will come. You may have to change this out several times a day-depending on how many gnats you "collect". You may have to keep this up until a freeze comes along. I live in W. TX and right now the watermelons are being harvested and that always brings them on-the gnats. Also, be sure to keep the trash emptied. Good luck. (09/10/2004)

By Connie

You may need to clean down the drain on the kitchen sink, I think sometimes they live off the food down there. I would use baking soda and vinegar, after it bubbles for a while, rinse it down and then clean the garbage disposal if you have one by putting down some ice and salt and run the disposal. (09/10/2004)

By tcaruso

I work for a vending company and we have gnat problems in our syrup pop machines in the summer, I find by spraying the overflow bucket with bleach keeps them away, evidently they don't like the fumes! (09/18/2004)

By marroh

Vinegar is made from apples and will not kill gnats it just attracts them. The bleach OR ammonia does work. (10/16/2005)

By Melissa