Gnats in Potting Soil

I have at least 50 houseplants. I re-potted many over the years and have never had a problem with gnats, now I do. I try to let the soil dry out as much as I can without harming the plants. These little stinkers won't go away. How can I get rid of them? Should I poke holes in the soil for ventilation? Would it help to dry the soil out? Is there some kind of bug poison I can use? Thanks.

By nerakk from Hesperia, CA

Gnats in Potting Soil

I had a terrible problem with them tried several things, then I decided to use a flea collar in the plants, I cut it in sections and wraped it around in each plant, it worked for me. However, you need to change when the labeling indicates it is expired. This is usually 3-6 months.

By Marcia S

Gnats in Potting Soil

Bacillus thuringiensis subspecies Israelensis (BTI) that kills the larvae of fungus gnats, mosquitoes, and black flies . When BTI is eaten by these larvae toxins are released into their gut which causes the larvae to stop eating. Without food the larvae die. This interrupts the life cycle of these pests and the population then dies off. (07/20/2009)

By luvnaz

Gnats in Potting Soil
Furious girl with a fly swatter.
Getting Rid of Gnats
Reusing Potting Soil
Reusing Potting Soil
Making a Potting Bench
Making a Potting Bench
Insect Repellant
Repelling Gnats Outside