Golden Retriever Pulling Out Hair

Cooper, my Golden, has begun to pull hair out beside his tail and along his tail. When the hair is pulled it reveals red, flakey, raw skin. Without the cone he can't stop himself from licking and pulling hair. This is the second time (he is 5) both in the last 6 months. Where he has healed the skin has turned black. The vet said it could be allergies or bug bites, but we're not sure. Drugs and creams didn't seem to improve the situation. I've been online and I am starting to think yeast. Any ideas of the cause or ideas to help heal? Thanks in advance!

The more severe pictures are of the first time and it took only 2 days. The other 2 that don't look as bad are current and on the opposite side.

My sister's dog had many allergies, and was doing this as well. She had creams and oral medications from the vet. I would go to another vet. The symptoms subsided in her dog, but never went away completely. The goal is to keep the dog as comfortable as possible.

I would say he is doing this because he itches. Have you tried benadryl or something for it?? Check with the vet first to make sure he can take it orally. that won't stop it, but would stop him from pulling at it.

He has been in antibiotics and steroids and has an anti fungal cream. He doesn't itch very much normally. When he starts the hair pulling it is due to itch. The cream seemed to give the best results. A different vet is a good idea.

It could be mange. Whatever it is seems to be causing intense itchiness. While you are searching for a diagnosis here are some things that helped my dog when he had intense itching in his ears from infections that fluctuated from bacteria to fungal. Besides treating his ears with the appropriate creams and ointments I noticed that the inside of his ear flaps were weeping a clear fluid sometimes. I suspected that this fluid might be causing further irritation and itchiness so I started to wash just that area with a mild soap and water. He allowed me to do this without pulling away, so the warm wash soapy washcloth probably felt good. It worked and stopped him from scratching, at least giving the treatments time to work. You could try washing the reddened areas. It may help with the itch. I also put my dog on a grain free and lactose free diet. His biggest improvement came when I gave him a teaspoon of fish oil. I noticed improvement in only two days. I give it to him once a week now. I just started the fish oil a few weeks ago so I'll have to give you an update in about a month. You need an accurate diagnosis before treating the areas. Cortisone cream may help with the itch but you have to be careful because the cause or infection can grow very quickly while the cortisone is shutting down the immune function, i.e.. the irritation of the skin. I hope this helps and that you find a solution soon. He's lucky to have such a caring owner.

I've been on the hunt for a better diet for him but it's tricky cause he has also been diagnosed with pancreatitis and so must have low fat. Foods that have low sugar and carbs seem to have too high of fat content. Ugh. I have started putting apple cider vinegar on his food as well as a probiotic powder to help if it's a systemic yeast infection.

The vet also (besides the antibiotics and steroids) gave us antibacterial wipes to clean the areas with before we put the anti fungal cream on. Sadly the cream makes him itchy where I put it (for about 10 mins after) so as much as we can he goes for a walk after the cream goes on to help distract from the itchy cream.

Since the first post he has also got to the inside of his hind leg (with a doughnut on) looks the same as the tail area. He now has a cone of shame on and can't get to it at all.

We rescued a small dog who has a lot of skin problems. She takes prednisone and cyclosporine she also gets allergy shots. She is bathed with a shampoo for sensitive skin or one with oatmeal

Dog Loosing Hair
Remedies for Hair Loss in Dogs
Pets Dogs HealthJanuary 8, 2017
Chicken
Chicken Pulling Out Its Feathers
Short haired dachshund getting his hair brushed
Dachshund Losing Hair
Muffin (Golden Retriever - Chow Mix)
Golden Retriever/Chow Mix Photos
Up close photo of red, wavy hair.
Homemade Hair Dye Recipes
👒
🐰
You are viewing the desktop version of this page: View Mobile Site.
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on March 22, 2017 at 6:10:21 PM on 10.0.1.226 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.