Gooey Butter Cake Recipes

Category Cakes
Gooey Butter Cake
This page contains gooey butter cake recipes. Gooey butter cake is popular in the Midwest.

I received a recipe for a Gooey Cake. This is made with a cake mix. I liked the concept of the cake but this was entirely too sweet. I am diabetic so I try to stay from the sweetest of the sweet. I began to alter to suit my taste.

I started with a chocolate cake mix, my favorite candy bar is a Mounds bar, I began to try different ways to make it mine. It has taken four years and finally, because I did not have any canned or sweetened coconut in the bags, I used what I had in the freezer. Bingo!

Yield: Can be cut to suit what you want. From 12 to 24.

• 1 pkg. Chocolate Cake Mix ($1.25)
  • 1/2 cup Butter ($.50)
  • 1 null Egg ($.15)
  • 3 cups Powdered sugar ($1.20)
  • 1 pkg. frozen coconut ($1.50)
  • 1 oz 8 oz pkg cream cheese ($1.00)
  • 2 eggs ($.30)

1. Mix cake mix, 1 egg, and 1 stick (1/2 cup) of softened butter really well. Press into the bottom of 13 x 9 inch baking dish sprayed with cooking spray.
  2. Mix cream cheese (can be low fat) with sugar and eggs and beat well. Add coconut to this mixture and pour into the dish on top of the cake mixture. Spread to even this out.
  3. Ad
  4. Bake in preheated oven at 350 degrees F for 35 to 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from oven and cool. Cut into squares or finger pieces. and serve. Can be frozen after baking.

This is an exceptionally easy cake to make. I've not found anyone yet who doesn't love it. It is my favorite cake, and I do enjoy getting all the fantastic compliments.

Cake: Filling:

Directions:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13 x 9 x 2 inch baking pan.

For the cake: In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat into bottom of prepared pan and set aside.

For filling: Still using an electric mixer, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in the eggs and vanilla. Dump in confectioners' sugar and beat well. Reduce the speed and slowly pour in butter. Mix well. Fold in coconut and pineapple.

Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes.

Oven temperatures almost always vary a little. You want the center of your cake to be a little gooey, so don't bake it past that point. After it has baked for 40 minutes, check for doneness and if it needs a little more, bake for 5 minutes, and test again. Test at 5 minute intervals until the cake has that little bit of "gooiness" that we love.

Remove from oven and allow to cool in the pan completely. Cut into squares and serve at room temperature. A big spoonful of whipped cream never hurt, but it is a little bit like "gilding the lily".

Servings: 15-18
Time:20 Minutes Preparation Time
50 Minutes Cooking Time

Source: My lifelong friend Ivone sent this recipe to me about 2 years ago. I made it once, and it became my favorite cake in the whole world. It was also her favorite and when I make it now, her spirit is close by and the memories come flooding back of all our good times growing up and making mud pies together. I miss her.

By Julia from Boca Raton, FL

• 1 box yellow cake mix
  • 1 stick margarine
  • 2 eggs, slightly beaten
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
  • 1 tsp. vanilla
  • 1 lb. powdered sugar

Directions:

Mix together first 3 ingredients. Mix last ingredients together and spread on top of first ingredients. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees F. Best when served hot. Good with vanilla ice cream on top.

By Robin from Washington, Ia

Ingredients

• 1 pkg. yellow cake mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 stick melted butter or margarine
  • 1 (8 oz.) pkg. cream cheese
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/2 tsp. vanilla
  • Ad
  • 1 box powdered sugar (reserve 1/2 cup)
  • chopped pecans

Directions

Mix and spread first 3 ingredients in a greased 9x13 inch pan. Mix cream cheese, eggs, vanilla, and powdered sugar; spread on first layer. Sprinkle on chopped pecans. Bake 30-35 minutes at 350 degrees F. When cool (20 minutes), sprinkle with remaining sugar.

By Robin from Washington, IA

Melt butter and mix with the cake mix and 2 eggs. Spread in a greased 9x13 inch pan. (This is a stiff batter). Mix cream cheese, 2 eggs and powdered sugar. Pour over cake mix. Bake at 325 degrees F for 45 minutes. Dust with powdered sugar when cool.

I have heard that Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake is delicious. Does anyone have the receipe. It starts with a Duncan Hines Butter cake mix.

Sandy in Vermont from Barre VT

Answers:

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

Here is a site that has a lot of Paula Deen info. and many of her recipes, might check and see if you can find it there. http://www.theladyandsons.com

There is a place at the bottom of the page that says "Paula's Home Cooking" that you can click on and it has lots of recipes (11/10/2005)

By Doris

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

It's posted on http://www.foodnetworktv.com. Just use the search engine and you will get five different results. (11/10/2005)

By Annie from Northern California

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

Cake

Filling

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well. Pat into the bottom of prepared pan and set aside.

Still using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth; add eggs and vanilla. Dump in confectioners' sugar and beat well. Reduce speed of mixer and slowly pour in butter. Mix well.

Pour filling onto cake mixture and spread evenly. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Don't be afraid to make a judgment call on the cooking time, because oven temperatures can vary. You want the center to be a little gooey, so don't bake it past that point!

Remove from oven and allow to cool completely. Cut into squares. Just remember that these wonderful little cakes are very, very rich, and a little will go a long way-even for piggies like me!

Pumpkin Gooey: This variation has to be at the top of my list, especially around Thanksgiving. For the cake part, I sometimes use a spice cake mix. I have even used a chocolate cake mix, but I think my favorite is the basic yellow cake mix. Follow the original recipe, adding a 15-ounce can of pumpkin pie filling and an extra egg to the cream cheese filling. Bake as usual, remove from oven, and allow to cool. Cut into squares and top each square with a pecan half. Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream. I promise you'll never want pumpkin pie again!

Pineapple Gooey: Add a 20-ounce can of drained crushed pineapple and an extra egg to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

Lemon Gooey: Use a lemon cake mix in place of the yellow cake. Add the juice (approximately 1/4 cup) and zest of 2 lemons to the cream cheese filling. Proceed: as directed above.

Carrot Cake Gooey: Use a spice cake mix, and add 1 cup chopped nuts and 1 1/2 cup finely grated carrots to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

Peanut Butter Gooey: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter and an extra egg to cream cheese filling. You can sprinkle the top of batter with 1 cup chopped peanuts if you like. Proceed as directed above.

Chocolate Chip Gooey: Use either yellow or chocolate cake mix. Sprinkle 1 cup chocolate chips and 1 cup chopped nuts on top of filling. Proceed as directed above.

Banana Gooey: Use a yellow cake mix. Prepare cream cheese filling as directed, beating in 2 ripe bananas and an extra egg. Proceed as directed above.

Nutty Gooey: Use a yellow cake mix, and add 1 cup chopped nuts to the cake mixture. Proceed as directed above.

Chippy Gooey: Stir 1 cup white chocolate chips, peanut butter chocolate chips, butterscotch morsels, Heath Almond Toffee Bits or Heath Milk Chocolate Toffee Bits into filling. Proceed as directed above.

Found this on internet. (11/10/2005)

By snoop

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

I have this one. It might be what you are talking about.

ELVIS' GOOEY BUTTER CAKE

Cake:

Filling: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter together and mix well. Pat into a lightly greased glass 13 by 9-inch baking pan. Prepare the filling. Beat the cream cheese until smooth. Add the eggs and vanilla. Add the peanut butter; beat. Add the banana and butter and mix well. Add the powdered sugar and mix well. Spread over the cake mixture. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. You want the center to be a little gooey, so do not over bake. Top each cake slice with a mint leaf and dollop of whipped cream. (11/10/2005)

By Christi

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

Here is the link and it also comes on this month if you want to watch.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes/recipe/0,1977,FOOD_9936_20677,00.html (11/10/2005)

By reddlb

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

She also has a recipe for Elvis gooey butter cake with peanut butter and banana. On www.foodtv.com do a search for gooey butter cake there's 5 listed

This is a plain gooey butter cake which is very famous and delicious

St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly grease one 9x13 inch cake pan. Melt butter. Empty cake mix into a large bowl. Stir melted butter, along with one egg, into the cake mix. Press mixture into pan. In a large bowl, mix cream cheese, almond extract, confectioners sugar and the remaining two eggs. Beat for three minutes with an electric mixer set on medium high speed. Spread over top of the cake mixture in the pan. Bake at 350 for 35-45 minutes until golden brown on top. Allow cake to cool. Dust the top with confectioners sugar. (Cake will be gooey on the top, so don't overbake!)
(11/11/2005)

By angelsmom10

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

Just Google "Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe" and it pops up on your screen. There are even variations included.

Good Luck. (11/13/2005)

By Vicki

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

I have to say that the pumpkin variation of this cake is incredible! My husband and I both hate pumpkin pie, but once we tasted this, we were hooked! It is really easy, too! We make it several times a year now, and everyone loves it. (11/13/2005)

By Diane

By Classy Lassy

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

So how is this different than good old St. Louis gooey butter cake? (03/25/2007)

By Jane

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

Not impressed with the food. My Grandma had better Sunday dinners and they cost a lot less!

This recipe was around a lot longer than Paula Deen has had that thick honey-dripped accent. Check http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gooey_butter_cake for history.

(07/15/2007)

By fluckewe

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

I have made her pumpkin gooey butter cake it was really really good I don't like pumpkin pie all that much but this is soo much better. If you need the recipe, go to foodchannel.com. That's where I got it. (10/22/2007)

By Kristina

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

Pumpkin version is the best. None of the rest compare. I've tried PB, Choc, Pumpkin and Banana. (11/16/2007)

By Cracked up in WA

Paula Deen's Elvis Gooey Peanut Butter Cake Recipe

Where can I get the Elvis Gooey Peanut Butter & Banana Cake recipe? (01/08/2008)

By Robert Becker

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

It is called Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cake. I found it on Food Network.com. look under Paula Deen recipes.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/double-chocolate-gooey-butter-cake-recipe/index.html (10/14/2008)

By Lisa in Chalk Bluff Tx

Paula Deen's Gooey Butter Cake Recipe

Here's the link to her recipe on her site: http://www.pauladeen.com/recipe_view/795 (12/12/2008)

By Marissa