Graduation Party Ideas

Whatever the milestone, it is fun to plan the perfect party for your graduate. This guide is about graduation party ideas.

May 29, 2009 Flag

A graduation party we attended had the cutest idea for decorating. The graduate was very athletic and had t-shirts from many activities she was involved in. Her t-shirts were hung on the fence like a clothes line in many sizes as she grew up. Lots of memories!

By Jeanne from Ohio

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

That's a great, original idea! Since our daughter wasn't "sporty" but into choir, marching band and drama, our "table display" included her various awards over the years. Wish we'd thought to display her drama t-shirts, too. Nothing like hindsight.

November 8, 2005 Flag

Do you have a child graduating in 2006? A clever money-saving party tip is to buy leftover New Year's decorations. I've seen New Year's eyeglasses (2006-eye holes in the 0's), year confetti, cups & napkins. As long as it only has the year printed it would work for a graduation party, too. Plus, they will be really cheap come January 2nd and your grad won't know the difference.

By Cheryl from Missouri from Peculiar, Missouri

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Good idea!

November 11, 2008 Flag

After what will be five years of graduate school, I will finally earn my Master of Library Science degree next spring. I would like to host a graduation party to celebrate this achievement. I would like to tie in the idea of libraries and books as the main theme of the party. Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this in a fun, inexpensive way?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Blue

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Thank you all for the excellent ideas! I can't wait to use them for my party!

May 20, 2008 Flag

I will be graduating from college next year (I like to plan early). I am a non-traditional student and majoring in elementary education. I am trying to come up with ideas for my graduation party to help my husband. I don't like the normal grad party decorations from party supply stores.

I would like to maybe decorate with things I could use in my classroom later (why use decorations that will be thrown away?) I'm not sure what grade I will be teaching yet. I need help with ideas that are UNIQUE and not too cheesy! We may do a BBQ, but since it will be early May, that's not for sure.

K.H. from Missouri

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I'm loving some of these ideas. Especially the pencils around a cup, I've seen pictures of colored pencils done that way and it is really cute and cheerful. Keep the ideas coming. I really appreciate it.

May 14, 2012 Flag

I have a graduation lunch to organise. Will the combination of the following colours be suitable: black, white, and silver?

By Nkefi R

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Most people use the school colors.

April 11, 2010 Flag

My son is graduating. We are serving BBQ and I'm looking for decorating ideas.

By Pam from Atlanta, GA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

We always do a backyard BBQ theme and have done the same one with all 4 of ours and it is always fun. We keep it easy and grill outside and set up a stand and incorporate either their high school or future college name and everyone goes there to get their meats and then have a buffet table for the sides. For our daughter who was going to DePaul Univ., we did a Depaul Dugout and decorated it with the school colors and made a sign on the computer.

January 14, 2009 Flag

We're having a open house for my daughter's graduation this June. She wants to have a Fairy theme for her party. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to decorate for the party? We'll be having it outside in our back yard. We'll be renting a tent for the party. We're having a taco bar for the food. Please help.

Betty from Flint, Michigan

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Small strands of white lights encased in any color Tulle or nylon net can be hung, canopy-like from the center of the tent outward and down the tent legs. Just cut strips of tulle and wrap the strand inside. Very pretty esp. at night.

August 21, 2013 Flag

Any suggestions for an outdoor party celebrating 2 sisters,- 1 graduating high school and the other graduating college?

By Elaine D.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Seriously? Two separate parties for each grad. You could have three with one for both girls (a potluck BBQ to bring together the extended family) then the two separate parties.

Each grad should be able to host their closest friends in their own individual way - high school and college aged people are just in different places and trying to combine those two age groups is not going to be as much fun for either group.

And Mom (and Dad)? You should have your own party to celebrate the monumental achievement of getting both your grads through to graduation! An all adult-been there done that party is in order for you:) Congratulations and well done!

January 27, 2011 Flag

Planning an outside party for a physician's assistant graduate in August. (in Texas) I have a pool and big backyard with trees. I haven't decided on menu for sure, I can cook smoked brisket and chicken ahead of time and I have a margarita machine. There will probably be about 50 people. Any "special" ideas from anyone out there?

By bonita from TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Bonita, Once I read your question, my mind started spinning with ideas. What a fun profession theme to throw a party for! I would for sure make it fun by sticking to the "medical theme" Maybe BBQ "ribs" and BBQ chicken "Thighs". How about sending the invitations on RX prescription sheets?You can make your own and just print them out on a computer. You can purchase a whole box of clear rubber gloves (not powder coated) at WalMart in the pharmacy section and fill them with snacks such as peanuts or pretzels.

You can also get paper surgical masks and footsies that you can do something with. How about the game "Operation"? just put it on one of the tables which would go with the theme and I bet you will find several people actually playing it throughout the day! You can also find plastic doctor kits in the toy section at Dollar Tree(or other dollar stores) that you can use in different ways.

How about thermometers on a "heart" shaped cake instead of candles? Maybe a group of you can chip in and buy the guest of honor a nice stethoscope for a gift?I was in the medical field for years and a good stethoscope is your best friend. Good luck and I'm sure your party will be a lot of fun! One more idea(see? my mind is running rapid!) Start saving empty aspirin bottles. Wash and dry.Poke holes in cap and use them for salt and pepper shakers on the tables?

March 31, 2012 Flag

My daughter is graduating in May with her Masters degree to be a CPA. I asked her what kind of theme she would like (I know she would think the graduation theme would not be for her (she's weird) She has a GPA of 4.0. She said jokingly she wanted a drunken theme. Of course, she knew I couldn't possibly come up with any ideas. She's right! Anyone have any ideas on this kind of theme. The beer and liquor will be flowing. I have arranged no one will drive that night. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Merci B from New Orleans, LA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What about making it more specific to one particular drink. Like a margarita party where you would serve all different kinds of margaritas For example you can have plain ones, frozen ones, flavored ones, frozen and flavored ones. This can be done with a lot of different drinks too. Ex. daiquiri's, coladas. Hope this helps!

April 18, 2010 Flag

I need ideas on how to host a college graduation party for my husband who will graduate in May with an Electrical Engineering degree. Any ideas on themes and favors will be greatly appreciated. The venue has been selected as well as the food and beverage. What does a host do in such celebrations? I want him and our guests to have fun.

By Lisa from CC, TX

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Just had a thought, go to Radio Shack and choose a pretty large kit. Use the ingredients to decorate and have a table where the item can be assembled. See if they can get it done before the party is over, and don't lose the instructions!

Good luck and congrats to your grad!

May 12, 2012 Flag

I am looking for ides for a college graduation party for a travel major? Any ideas on centerpieces for a college graduate?

By Momma C

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 29, 2010 Flag

Thanks to those of you who sent suggestions for my son's graduation venue. We're decided to rent a hall and now we were wondering if we could incorporate a "Las Vegas" theme, although his major is chemistry. We were thinking of things such as wheel of fortune and chug a lug dice for pretend money. Instead of a universal favor, the top money holder will choose from the favors displayed, the one with the next amount, etc. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Mike's Mom from Boston, MA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 31, 2006 Flag

I'm planning my first graduation party for 2 daughters. One will be a college graduate and the other a high school graduate. I need ideas.

Andrea from Ellenwood, GA

Answers:

At my graduation party (in 1989!) my parents had each of my guests (varying in ages from 5 to 85) stand and tell the one thing they remembered most about me during my first 18 years! My sister recorded this whole thing on tape and then later wrote down the responses in a Memory Book. They had planned this in advance so each guest knew what they wanted to say. I still have this book and it is so funny to read it now that I am 34. The best one? From my high school best friend "She taught me how to tease my bangs in 8th grade!" Gotta love the 80's!

By Reba Gayle Shurden

My cousin graduated last year. Her parents mailed out a request with each of her invitations for all invited to share their 'secrets' to their successes in life--marriage, education, child-rearing, etc. or just their best wishes for her future. They asked that each 'essay' be returned before the party day. They had them bound into a beautiful notebook and presented it to her at the party. Everyone had a wonderful time reading each others' entries and becoming more familiar with close family and friends than they might have otherwise been. It was a precious gift. Will do same for my daughter when she graduates in 2010!

By lipstick007

Display lots of pictures of the graduate from when he or she was a baby up to the present day.

By Allison

How about queen or king for a day. Present a crown, cape, flowers and scepter. Have people represent someone from the grads past by reading a vignette about that persons relationship with the grad and having him/her guess who it is.

By Linda

At my daughters open house for decorations I used cardboard toothpick holders. Painted in school colors,had a square of poster board on top with embroidery thread for the mortarboard. I used another 1 for the diploma. I rolled up a piece of paper with "DIPLOMA" typed on it & tied with a ribbon. Turned out real cute. Hope this helps.

By Christine

An activity idea that works for both high school and graduation parties is a time capsule. Place memorable items from the graduate s school years in the time capsule. Have guests place personal notes to the graduate as memorable keepsakes.

By fun-theme-party-ideas

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

What a great discussion.

March 29, 2011 Flag

We are planning a high school graduation party for Saturday, August 5, from 7-11 P.M. I need some ideas for food and drinks that are easy and won't break the bank since I am on a budget.

Barb

Answers:

Inexpensive Food and Drinks for a Graduation Party

We just did two birthdays on a budget! One was for a 1st birthday and the other for 3rd. I did "finger" foods: deviled eggs, meatballs, layered salad, relish tray, fruit tray - I did everything by watching the grocery ads and made everything except the meatballs. Also for drinks: just made Tea or Kool-Aid, and had a bucket of ice nearby. Didn't overdue the decorations either! Went very plain, since they get thrown away anyhow! But, I think the simpler it is the better time everyone has! (07/11/2006)

By mobo

If you want to be a bit more fancy in the drinks, other than plain tea or Kool aid, Visit your local dollar store and pick up some ginger ale and bottles of fruit juices (apple, pineapple, grapefruit, mixed juices (strawberry/kiwi). You can start with a base of tea, or just mix together the soda and juices. Some people add sherbet to their punches. Personally, after a while, the sherbet melts, and while it tastes good, it looks pretty icky. The night before I would make a big block of ice [or 2 for when first one melts] in a large freezer safe plastic bowl or container (you can make the ice from a mixture of the drink itself so it doesn't get watered down). (07/11/2006)

By KayDpa

I recently had a bridal shower for my daughter. We served nachos, fresh fruit, and Sneaky Pete's. Sneaky Pete's is a punch. The recipe is easy and it is so good.
3 cans frozen orange juice thawed
3 cans frozen lemonade thawed
1 46 ounce can pineapple juice
1 2 ltr. bottle of sprite or 7 up
5 cups of sugar
9 quarts of water
Mix all together, and put in freezer until slushy.
Hope this helps. (07/11/2006)

By Darlene

I would serve Hot Ham sandwiches and chips. You can buy a 5# oblong shaped ham (like Farmland) for $6-$8. Ask the deli dept. in your store to shave it. Last time I did this, the ham was $1.20 a #! Buy store brand hamburger buns and chips. Heat and serve ham in a slow cooker. Deviled eggs and carrot sticks are inexpensive as are baked beans. (07/12/2006)

By Donna R.

I just did a high school graduation party and I threw a Dessert Party. It was a big success and fun. I cooked pies the day before. I went to Sam's and bought cookies and a big graduation cake and a big cobbler. We had coffee, bottled waters and 3 liter Cokes for drinks. I had one kitchen wall decorated behind the food table with pictures of the graduate growing up with family members. A big congratulations banner was bought at the dollar store. Everybody loved it. I put on the Invitations that the party was from 2-4 p.m. (07/14/2006)

By Wanda

I just had a graduation party for my daughter that went very well. I bought most of the lunch meats and cheeses at a GFS store nearby at low prices and they sliced them for free. Family members brought some of the other dishes to share as well. I made relish and veggie trays from scratch as well as the meat and cheese/cracker trays. (07/15/2006)

By BIGdaddy

Make it a simple theme like a nacho bar. Buy store brand, sour cream, cheese to shred, salsa, tortilla chips, cans of re-fried beans that you warm up in a sauce pan while adding salsa to taste, make rotel cheese dip, cokes, tea, and the cake that says congrats! (07/15/2006)

By DD

When I throw a party I always serve iced tea and lemonade (the powdered stuff with a few lemons floating in it). These are the cheapest drinks as far as I'm concerned and everyone seems to like them. Sometimes I make one batch of sweet tea and a batch of regular. If you have clear containers sun tea is awesome as there's no boiling water heating up the kitchen. (07/17/2006)

I just had a party last weekend. I had chicken from my local deli, It was only $39.99 for 100 pieces, and I got 16 pounds of potato salad for $16.00. I went to a discount store for chips and pop, and had relatives chip in and make a big pan of rigatoni and meatballs and the graduation cake. All together I did this for $100.00 and we had a crowd, with plenty of leftovers. (06/29/2008)

By A guest

We asked three other families of our son's friends if they'd like to have a group graduation party. We split the cost of the rent of a local church's gym (cheaper than a hall) and all the food. We watched for sales and started stocking up about 2-3 months in advance. We split the tasks according to each persons strengths. Some were good with money, others at bargain shopping. Others at planning the timing of the cooking and others were gifted in decorations. We served sirloin steak cut into palm size pieces, hot dogs, pulled pork on a bun, baked potatoes with all the sides, baked beans, a veggie tray, chips and one large cake with all their names.

Some family members brought their favorite dishes, as well. Our drink was punch served in a large container with a spout. We recruited a friend to do the grilling and we baked the potatoes in foil that morning, keeping them warm in foil covered tins. Each family contributed about $220.00 and that included even the tableware. Each family also decorated their own Senior's table, as a separate expense. The Seniors loved trying to out due each other with their table! We received compliments for a very delicious meal and a creative solution to an expensive party! (03/15/2010)

By dawnnarv05

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 15, 2011 Flag

I am planning a group graduation party for me and my friends. We are all graduating from university under the Business Information System discipline. The idea is to have a BBQ at a farm. My friends and I are all party animals and are over 21. Please help.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 27, 2011 Flag

It seems to be happening more and more that graduation parties are being held in parks and are potluck style. This could be done for any type of party or reception.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 22, 2010 Flag

My wonderful son is graduating from college in May with a major in chemistry. I'm puzzled as to how to prepare if I have a party at home.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 18, 2010 Flag

I'm 19 years old and I'm planning my own college graduation party in April. I have no idea where to start.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

April 11, 2010 Flag

We will be throwing my daughter a graduation party and I would like ideas on food, decorations, and entertainment for everyone. I really need help planning on food for at least 50 people. Thank you.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 17, 2010 Flag

My name is Ulissa. I'm 23 yrs old and about to graduate from college in two months (meaning May).

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 24, 2009 Flag

I am graduating in May of this year and trying to decide on centerpieces and inexpensive food ideas. I rented a clubhouse for family and friends to come. Any ideas?

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 30, 2008 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 4, 2008 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

May 8, 2007 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 13, 2007 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 26, 2007 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

March 22, 2005 Flag
CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Holidays and Parties Parties GraduationNovember 4, 2012
A girl who has graduated, wearing her cap and gown.
College Graduation Party Ideas
High School Graduation Party Cupcake Centerpiece
High School Graduation Party Centerpiece Ideas
Mini Graduation Cap
Making Mini Graduation Cap Party Favors
Graduation Party Cupcake
Physicians Assistant Graduation Party Ideas
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 23, 2017 at 6:54:47 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 4 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.