Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Graduation Party Ideas

0 0EmailFollow
Pin It
Graduation Party Ideas

Whatever the milestone, it is fun to plan the perfect party for your graduate. This guide is about graduation party ideas.

Solutions: Graduation Party Ideas

Read and rate the best solutions below by giving them a "thumbs up".

Tip: Sport Shirts Decorations for a Graduation Party

A graduation party we attended had the cutest idea for decorating. The graduate was very athletic and had t-shirts from many activities she was involved in. Her t-shirts were hung on the fence like a clothes line in many sizes as she grew up. Lots of memories!

By Jeanne from Ohio

Tip: New Years Decorations for Graduation Parties

Do you have a child graduating in 2006? A clever money-saving party tip is to buy leftover New Year's decorations. I've seen New Year's eyeglasses (2006-eye holes in the 0's), year confetti, cups & napkins. As long as it only has the year printed it would work for a graduation party, too. Plus, they will be really cheap come January 2nd and your grad won't know the difference.

By Cheryl from Missouri from Peculiar, Missouri

Give a "thumbs up" to the solution that worked the best! Do you have a better solution? Click here to share it!

Here are questions related to Graduation Party Ideas.

Question: Party Ideas for Two Graduating Seniors

Any suggestions for an outdoor party celebrating 2 sisters,- 1 graduating high school and the other graduating college?

By Elaine D.

Most Recent Answer

By Frugal Sunnie [11]08/23/2013

Seriously? Two separate parties for each grad. You could have three with one for both girls (a potluck BBQ to bring together the extended family) then the two separate parties.

Each grad should be able to host their closest friends in their own individual way - high school and college aged people are just in different places and trying to combine those two age groups is not going to be as much fun for either group.

And Mom (and Dad)? You should have your own party to celebrate the monumental achievement of getting both your grads through to graduation! An all adult-been there done that party is in order for you:) Congratulations and well done!

Question: Choosing Colors for a Graduation Lunch

I have a graduation lunch to organise. Will the combination of the following colours be suitable: black, white, and silver?

By Nkefi R

Most Recent Answer

By Linda L. [33]05/16/2012

Might want to incorporate school colors.

Question: Graduation Party Ideas: Travel Major

I am looking for ides for a college graduation party for a travel major? Any ideas on centerpieces for a college graduate?

By Momma C

Question: College Graduation Party Themes

My daughter is graduating in May with her Masters degree to be a CPA. I asked her what kind of theme she would like (I know she would think the graduation theme would not be for her (she's weird) She has a GPA of 4.0. She said jokingly she wanted a drunken theme. Of course, she knew I couldn't possibly come up with any ideas. She's right! Anyone have any ideas on this kind of theme. The beer and liquor will be flowing. I have arranged no one will drive that night. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

By Merci B from New Orleans, LA

Most Recent Answer

By Renea A [2]03/31/2012

What about making it more specific to one particular drink. Like a margarita party where you would serve all different kinds of margaritas For example you can have plain ones, frozen ones, flavored ones, frozen and flavored ones. This can be done with a lot of different drinks too. Ex. daiquiri's, coladas. Hope this helps!

Question: Outdoor Graduation Party

Planning an outside party for a physician's assistant graduate in August. (in Texas) I have a pool and big backyard with trees. I haven't decided on menu for sure, I can cook smoked brisket and chicken ahead of time and I have a margarita machine. There will probably be about 50 people. Any "special" ideas from anyone out there?

By bonita from TX

Most Recent Answer

By Veronica [10]01/29/2011

Maryeruth, those are great ideas! :)

Question: Graduation Party Ideas

My son is graduating. We are serving BBQ and I'm looking for decorating ideas.

By Pam from Atlanta, GA

Most Recent Answer

By Diane [2]05/25/2010

A great idea to have at a graduation party is to present the book (by Dr. Seuss) titled "Oh, the Places You'll Go!"...(this is actually the #1 recommended book gift to give). The idea is to have all the guests attending sign the pages as a keepsake for the graduate (no matter the age). The #2 book of choice is "The Meaning of Life", colorful green frog on the cover. Having frog bookmarks to pass out to the guests as a thank you.

Another idea is to create a slide-show on the computer highlighting favorite photo shots of grad with family, friends, or doing their activities. Can play it at the party and also email it to all guests to enjoy, it's timeless. Be sure to include captions and capture all moods.

Question: Las Vegas Themed Graduation Party Ideas

Thanks to those of you who sent suggestions for my son's graduation venue. We're decided to rent a hall and now we were wondering if we could incorporate a "Las Vegas" theme, although his major is chemistry. We were thinking of things such as wheel of fortune and chug a lug dice for pretend money. Instead of a universal favor, the top money holder will choose from the favors displayed, the one with the next amount, etc. Any ideas? Thanks.

By Mike's Mom from Boston, MA

Question: Fairy Themed Graduation Party

We're having a open house for my daughter's graduation this June. She wants to have a Fairy theme for her party. Does anybody have any suggestions on how to decorate for the party? We'll be having it outside in our back yard. We'll be renting a tent for the party. We're having a taco bar for the food. Please help.

Betty from Flint, Michigan

Most Recent Answer

By Mintella Cyder03/07/2009

Your daughter is my hero! My best friend and I are doing the same thing for our graduation! We thought we were the only people above ten who liked fairies! For our party we are going to cover everything in glitter and make food that has some form of fairy theme. We are also forcing everyone to dress up as a fairy or extreamly fancy. We are also using a book called "Are There Faeries at the Bottom of Your Garden?" by Betsy Williams. That's the reason we even came up with the idea for our party.

Question: Graduation Party Ideas: Librarian

After what will be five years of graduate school, I will finally earn my Master of Library Science degree next spring. I would like to host a graduation party to celebrate this achievement. I would like to tie in the idea of libraries and books as the main theme of the party. Does anyone have any ideas of how to do this in a fun, inexpensive way?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Blue

Most Recent Answer

By Chayil [5]12/31/2008

At my grocery store, they've got a machine that will print any picture on a sheet of rice paper. They put the rice paper onto a frosted cake, so the cake now holds the picture of whatever the original was. If your store does a similar service, give them your favorite book jacket and have them use that as the 'base', then add a line at the bottom with your name on it. Or have them cut out part of the picture (where the author's name goes) and put your name there in icing, so that the picture is there but the name is all you.

Question: Graduation Party Ideas: Elementary Education Major

I will be graduating from college next year (I like to plan early). I am a non-traditional student and majoring in elementary education. I am trying to come up with ideas for my graduation party to help my husband. I don't like the normal grad party decorations from party supply stores.

I would like to maybe decorate with things I could use in my classroom later (why use decorations that will be thrown away?) I'm not sure what grade I will be teaching yet. I need help with ideas that are UNIQUE and not too cheesy! We may do a BBQ, but since it will be early May, that's not for sure.

K.H. from Missouri

Most Recent Answer

By sandy [63]05/23/2008

How about making a bulletin board of yourself? I am a substitute teacher. Today the teacher herself was the student of the month. She had photos of herself along with a questionaire. She had it on the bulletin board where the students were once students of the month. Don't forget you will need books to fill your classroom. For a game maybe the adults would have to guess to figure out what book goes along with story line, or compete who can read the best story.

Thrifty Fun has been around so long that many of our pages have been reset several times. Archives are older versions of the page and the feedback that was provided then.

Archive: Graduation Party Ideas

I'm planning my first graduation party for 2 daughters. One will be a college graduate and the other a high school graduate. I need ideas.

Andrea from Ellenwood, GA

At my graduation party (in 1989!) my parents had each of my guests (varying in ages from 5 to 85)stand and tell the one thing they remembered most about me during my first 18 years! My sister recorded this whole thing on tape and then later wrote down the responses in a Memory Book. They had planned this in advance so each guest knew what they wanted to say. I still have this book and it is so funny to read it now that I am 34. The best one? From my high school best friend "She taught me how to tease my bangs in 8th grade!" Gotta love the 80's!

By Reba Gayle Shurden

My cousin graduated last year. Her parents mailed out a request with each of her invitations for all invited to share their 'secrets' to their successes in life--marriage, education, child-rearing, etc. or just their best wishes for her future. They asked that each 'essay' be returned before the party day. They had them bound into a beautiful notebook and presented it to her at the party. Everyone had a wonderful time reading each others' entries and becoming more familiar with close family and friends than they might have otherwise been. It was a precious gift. Will do same for my daughter when she graduates in 2010!

By lipstick007

Display lots of pictures of the graduate from when he or she was a baby up to the present day.

By Allison

How about queen or king for a day. Present a crown, cape, flowers and scepter. Have people represent someone from the grads past by reading a vignette about that persons relationship with the grad and having him/her guess who it is.

By Linda

At my daughters open house for decorations I used cardboard toothpick holders. Painted in school colors,had a square of poster board on top with embroidery thread for the mortarboard. I used another 1 for the diploma. I rolled up a piece of paper with "DIPLOMA" typed on it & tied with a ribbon. Turned out real cute. Hope this helps.

By Christine

An activity idea that works for both high school and graduation parties is a time capsule. Place memorable items from the graduate s school years in the time capsule. Have guests place personal notes to the graduate as memorable keepsakes.

By fun-theme-party-ideas

Archive: Graduation Party Ideas

My son will be graduating in May from high school and I am wondering if anyone has any graduation party tips?

sweetpea32208 from Florida

Restaurant

Our daughter graduated in June of last year, and we had a family party at our local chinese restaurant. I reserved their party room months in advance (its free!). They offer a buffet for about 4.00 a person, and we had 18 there, so it was cost effective, and they set up and cleaned up!

I purchased items from www.orientaltrading.com... graduation mints, an autograph dog that everyone signed, and little bubble jars that had caps and tassels on them. I made her a scrapbook of items from kindergarten till graduation (we had the party the day after graduation, so I was working on the last page the night before the party!) and had pictures of her from Kindergarten till 12th grade. We decorated with graduation balloons as well. She was surprised and thrilled! (03/12/2006)

By Marlene

Disposable Cameras

At my niece's HS graduation party, my sister in law, among other things, had disposable cameras on each table and encouraged the guests to take pictures of ea other. I thought that was a nice idea. The party was held outside in a backyard. Food however was set up in the kitchen buffet style. Most everything was homemade altho I believe they ordered Italian beef and fried chicken. (03/14/2006)

By Debbie52

At Church

We home-school our boys and in 2004 our oldest son graduated from high school. His graduation was held at our church. He was the only graduate, but he asked that the graduates in our church join him as honorees at his party which we held in the church fellowship hall after his graduation. His graduation ceremony was so moving. Our pastor had church as usual but our family was the center on his sermon and the entire service. GOD was really the center. He used us as living examples. The entire church was invited, and all showed up to congratulate and support our son. It was a wonderful celebration! For his party I served lots of different finger foods. A huge Cake. Assorted drinks: coffee, sodas, Punch,and bottled water. We had veggie trays with dip, a large fruit bowl, nuts & mints. We plan on celebrating our younger son's graduation the same way. (03/14/2006)

By Susie

Fence Decoration

If you have a fence and you are going to have it outside you could put little paper graduation caps on top of the fence posts. And little rolled up diplomas with ribbons around them on the side of the fence underneath the hats. (06/25/2006)

By Looly

Archive: College Graduation Party Ideas

I am planning to throw my mother a surprise graduation party. She will be graduating from Wake Forest University. We would like to use the school's colors black and gold to decorate. We have rented a recreation center. Does anyone have any decorating tips using those colors?

Tammy from Durham, NC

RE: College Graduation Party Ideas

You could make a balloon arch with gold and black balloons. balloons also look great when tied together into garlands, columns and shapes!

Also, using gossamer in many ways - making swags, adding bows to chairs, etc. Can be made to look casual or very elegant, depending on your party!

What really looks great with black and gold is white twinkle (Christmas) lights. add these around the food and gift tables. Really dramatic effect.

Use black tableclothes and then add gold skirting. Use clusters of black and gold balloons for the centerpieces. (03/13/2006)

By ReasonToParty

Archive: College Graduation Party Ideas

I am planning a graduation party for my husband. He is graduating with a masters of taxation degree. I could use any cool unique ideas. I have not started anything yet and would love any ideas.

Ebonyqueen3 from South Florida

RE: College Graduation Party Ideas

Go to a dollar store and buy some play money. You can string it to hang as a garland. You can wrap one bill around a napkin as a napkin ring. Make photo copies of tax forms and use them as place mats. (05/10/2007)

By R.A.

Archive: Graduation Party Ideas

I am graduating in May of this year and trying to decide on centerpieces and inexpensive food ideas. I rented a clubhouse for family and friends to come. Any ideas?