Grandma Sadie's Jewish Chicken Soup

This is from an old recipe handed down from generation to generation.

• 1 whole chicken (with bones), cut up
  • 4 - 5 celery stalks, sliced into small pieces
  • Ad
  • 1 large onion, quartered
  • 1 bunch parsley, chopped
  • salt and pepper, to taste
  • other vegetables of your choice, including sliced or small potatoes, if you like
  • rice or noodles (optional)

Directions:

Wash chicken, DON'T remove skin. Place in a large pot, and add the remaining ingredients to the pot. Fill pot with water almost to the top, but not quite to the top, so when boiling, it will not boil over.

Mix the ingredients in the pot. Bring to a boil and remove scum from pot. Reduce heat to low. Put lid on top of pot, leaving a little opening. Cook on low until the meat is almost coming off the bone. You can add noodles or rice if you like.

Servings: 6 to 8
Prep Time: 20 Minutes
Cooking Time: 1 1/2 Hours

By Cathy

Jewish Penicillin at its best. When a family member has a cold, flu or pneumonia, I get out the big pot, and buy the biggest, fattest hen I can find, and start making our Penicillin. Sure saves on the doctor's bills.

When asked what my daughter-in-law considered to make her feel the most loved when she was sick, she said, "My Mama's chicken soup". She calls her mother Mom, but I'm Mama. I am honored.

Thank you for sharing your recipe. It sounds delicious and very close to my own which was my Grandmother's. You get my vote.

Pookarina

Food and Recipes Recipes Soups ChickenJune 14, 2011
Bowl of cream of tomato soup garnished with chives.
Freezing Tomato Soup
a girl in a formal dress
Asking Someone to Sadie Hawkins
Campfire Chicken and Dumplings
Chicken and Dumpling Soup Recipes
Cute Little Girl in Chicken Costume
Making a Chicken Costume
🎄
🍂