Grandma's Amish Sugar Cream Pie
This pie is full of sweet, creamy, custardy, yummy goodness! I love it because I have been enjoying it since I was a kid. It's always been a staple for Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners.
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 1/2 cups half and half
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup corn starch
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- 9 inch lightly baked pie crust
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In medium saucepan combine salt, sugar, and half and half. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally.
- In another saucepan combine brown sugar and corn starch.
- Gradually whisk in hot half and half mixture. Add butter.
- Cook mixture over medium heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until boiling and thickened.
- Simmer 1 minute.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Pour into lightly baked pie crust and sprinkle lightly with cinnamon.
- Bake 20 minutes or until golden brown. Pie will thicken as it cools.
- Keep and serve cold.
By Shawna G. from Ann Arbor, MI
Add your voice to the conversation.