Add to GuideAsk a Question
To Top

Grants for Low Income Seniors

When your revenue is limited or fixed, you may need to find additional money to maintain a healthy standard of living. This is a guide about grants for low income seniors.


Ask a QuestionHere are the questions asked by community members. Read on to see the answers provided by the ThriftyFun community or ask a new question.

September 12, 20050 found this helpful

I am 74 years old and live on limited income with no savings. I would like to know if there are any grants out there I can apply for. I will be grateful if you can help me. Thanks.

Answer Was this helpful? Yes
September 12, 20050 found this helpful

I don't know about grants, but there are programs to help with various medical tests, reduced price food, etc.

Each city is different but check with senior citizens centers in your area and then keep on checking other places too, including newspapers. Don't assume any one person knows all that is out there.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 12, 20050 found this helpful

If you have a Salvation Army near you, visit them. They should have lists of places to help you. The Salvation Army here tells you where to go for free food, help with utility bills, low cost medical care, etc. Your local Lions Club will assist you with eyecare and eyeglasses. The local Public Aid office should also have lists of places that will help you. Good luck to you--I will pray for you

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 13, 20050 found this helpful

This program "Low-income homeowners and renters assistance" is not a grant but it will help you save money on rent or your morgage.

The Homeowner and Renter assistance programs are available to low-income seniors for a once-a-year payment from the State of California. The legislature wanted to help seniors pay their housing expenses.

Senior Resource Services (SRS) wants all qualified Villagers to receive this benefit. Your total household income for 2004 must not have exceeded $39,699, including any social security benefits. You must be 62 or older, unless you are blind or disabled.

Homeowners may receive up to $472.60 per year. Renters may receive up to $347.50 per year. These amounts shrink as your reported income approaches the qualifying household income maximum.

To apply for this benefit, you must file Form 9000H, Homeowner Assistance, or Form 9000R, Renter Assistance, with the Franchise Tax Board between July 1 and October 15 of each year. The documents needed to complete the form are proof of age and your 2004 Federal and State tax returns (if you filed returns) or other income records. Homeowners will also need their 2004/2005 property tax bill. Renters need their landlords name, address and telephone number. If you received a Form 9000H or R in the mail, have it available.

If you believe you qualify for this program and would like an SRS volunteer to complete the form for you, call the SRS office at 239-5253. A volunteer will return your call and schedule an appointment in your home. If you prefer to come to the SRS office during office hours, all office volunteers have been trained to assist with the forms.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 15, 20050 found this helpful

Check to see if there is an office for the aging in your area. They have all kinds of programs in this area and can point you in the right direction. Also, if you own your own home, contact the taxing authorities in your location and ask if there is a senior discount. Our town cuts school taxes in half when you reach 65. My Dad was in WW2 and my Mom gets a discount for that on the property taxes. She also gets meals-on-wheels, help with the heating bill in the winter and someone to come in and do chores for her (all thru the office for the aging as they know what help is available).

Hope this helps and good luck.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 16, 20050 found this helpful

Many seniors spend a gret deal of money on prescription drugs. If that is the case for you, contact the pharamaceutical companies that make your drugs and ask if they have a patient assistance program (it may have a different name). Most of the larger drug companies do, and it can save you a bundle on your medications! Your prescription bottle should tell you the company name, and then you can look up the company on the internet or at the public library. This program has been very helpful to several of my relatives who take daily meds for high blood pressure, diabetes, and heart conditions.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
January 26, 20070 found this helpful

Look into ANGEL FOOD MINISTRIES for your food needs. They're on line, so look them up and then tell all of your friends about them.

You can get about $50 to $70 worth of groceries every two weeks for $25. There are FROZEN & canned foods that are left at local churches in the area by them and are really a true life saver for my husband and myself who are both disabled, elderly and living on a fixed income.

Also check out your counties"Area on Ageing" with your local social security department, local hospital or area senior center.

DO NOT BE ASHAMED TO ASK QUESTIONS because these places are not going to come up and knock on your door and tell you about themselves & what they have to offer.

Go to your local library, police or sheriffs department and ask them to help you after all "they (in public offices) work for us- we do not work for them!" Your doctor is the same...ask him to help you too!

GOOD LUCK TO YOU! I know how hard it was for us years ago when we began looking for help of somekind, which we did find and you will too just do not be afraid to ask questions...

Your in our prayers!

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 18, 20070 found this helpful

Would like information on free grants for low income seniors.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
September 18, 20070 found this helpful

I need to do some work on my home. I have very little income. I will be 62 in November. drp2966 AT

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
March 10, 20080 found this helpful

Try looking on there's a lot of help there.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
August 31, 20080 found this helpful

Hello, We live in Alabama and would like to know if there is a site are help for seniors that need eye glasses.

Reply Was this helpful? Yes
Read More Answers
Related Content
Budget & Finance Tips for SeniorsSeptember 9, 2014
older blind woman sitting on a bench
Receiving Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
A senior man wearing a hearing aid.
Hearing Aids for Low Income Seniors
Finding Free or Low Cost Pet Clinics in Minnesota
A cat with an empty food dish.
Free Pet Food for Low Income Families
Mother's Day Ideas!
Easter Ideas!
Ask a Question
Share a Post
Desktop Page | View Mobile

Disclaimer | Privacy Policy | Contact Us

© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

Published by .

Generated 2017/04/14 07:45:52 in 3 secs.
Loading Something Awesome!