Gravy Making Tips and Tricks

Wonderful gravy can make any meal a big success. This page contains gravy making tips and tricks.

Plate of food covered in gravy.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

To get smooth gravies from a package, I first put them into a jar with a lid and shake it back and forth a few times. You'll never see another lump. I also do this when preparing Creamed Soups!

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I learned how to make homemade gravy from my Mom & Grandmother, and their gravy is what made the "Dinner." Whatever meat you have roasted, braised, browned and has some residue or drippings can be a base for gravy.

The Key to Great Homemade Gravy

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I agree that good gravy must start with flour that is slowly browned in the pan drippings (fat only!) before adding your liquid to thicken. Another helpful hint when making really good gravy is to use a slotted spoon. It seems to keep the gravy from forming the lumps so many complain about. When almost ready, season well with salt and pepper using the "taste test" method. It takes more than you'd think! Gravy isn't difficult but takes time and patience, and then is oh so good!

By Maryann from Fort Lauderdale, FL

How can I spruce up a gravy mix to taste "homemade"?

Cindy from Key West, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Another thing I discovered quite by accident is that sodium free bouillon mixes make an excellent gravy stock with just a small amount of salt added (less than would be present in a "normal" bouillon or even a jarred soup base). These dietetic bouillons make a really heroic effort to create good flavor, although when made as directed they end up smelling wonderful and tasting lousy. A little salt and they smell wonderful and taste wonderful. Add some flour or cornstarch and olive oil to complete the gravy.

Read More Answers...

The beauty of this recipe is that you can make it a day ahead; heat it back up on simmer in a saucepan and not have to be scrambling to make the gravy from the drippings at the last ditch minute ;-) This can be used for poultry or beef gravy.

• 4 Tbsp. butter
    • 2 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
    • 6 Tbsp. all purpose flour
    • 3 cups chicken, turkey or beef broth
    • spices to taste such as salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, paprika, and even cayenne powder or Tabasco sauce.

Directions:

Melt butter with olive oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan, whisk in flour and stir until light brown.

Turn heat to medium high, gradually whisk in broth and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

Reduce heat to low, add spices to taste and simmer 5 minutes, or until thickened to your liking.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

I have a bad habit of adding too much corn starch or flour to my gravy. What could I do to eliminate the taste?

By Pauline from IN

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Instead of cornstarch, try adding butter, it thickens whilst leaving a nice taste. Or, add more liquid if you don't want to use butter.

The key to having appealing looking brown gravy, rather than pale gravy, is to brown the flour you use to thicken the gravy. Brown the flour in a skillet before adding liquid.

I love the rotisserie chickens my big box store offers.

Do you know how to create scrumptious gravy from these rotisserie chickens? I see the juices swimming in the bottom of the container, but my attempts for good gravy have been extremely disappointing.

Thank You in advance. :)

By Chris A.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

When I make a roux for store bought chicken, I usually use the drippings as part of the water in the recipe. You get all the flavor of what ever they use in your gravy. We love the Lemon Chicken, so good.

When making your gravy with roux, always heat the stock, broth, milk or cream you are using before adding it to the hot roux. This prevents the clumping that can easily occur when making gravy. Remember, adding hot to hot prevents clumpy, lumpy gravy!

By Sabrys from Salem, IN

Do not despair if you over salt gravy. Stir in some instant mashed potatoes to repair the damage. Just add a little more liquid in order to offset the thickening.

By Peggy

How to cook gravy, as in chicken gravy, without grease or oil. Brown flour in skillet, add seasoning or bouillon cubes. Add enough water to make it thin as you like, let simmer about 1 minute. Tastes very good.

• 1 can cream of chicken ($1.00)
    • 1 cup chicken broth ($1.00)
    • 1 cut up chicken or pieces of your choice ($3.00)

1. Bake or roast chicken according to your taste.
    2. Empty can of cream of chicken soup into small pot. Add 1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth (depending on how thick you want your gravy)
    3. When chicken is finished cooking, pour the juice left in bottom of pan in with the soup/brother mixture and stir. Thicken as desired.
    CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For quick thickener for gravies, add some instant potatoes to your gravy and it will thicken beautifully. By Peggy

Gravy can still be good for you, even breakfast to enjoy now and then without being so fattening. Just use broth instead of milk. Cut out the fat by mixing the flour with cold broth or some water and stir into broth when hot. It is really good gravy.

Making gravy; I start with the drippings from a roast, chicken or pan fried meat and letting cook until all the liquid is vaporized and the meat juices are caramelized. Drain grease off; what's left are the caramelized juices.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
    Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsOctober 21, 2012
    Homemade Gravy
    Thickening Homemade Gravy
    Photo of brown gravy on a turkey sandwich.
    Homemade Brown Gravy Recipes
    Turkey gravy in a gravy boat.
    Making Turkey Gravy
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 26, 2016 at 4:42:38 AM on 10.0.0.67 in 251 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.