Gravy Making Tips and Tricks

Wonderful gravy can make any meal a big success. This page contains gravy making tips and tricks.

May 3, 2016 Flag

To get smooth gravies from a package, I first put them into a jar with a lid and shake it back and forth a few times. You'll never see another lump. I also do this when preparing Creamed Soups!

Smart move thanks.

Good tip. I've been doing this for years. If the package makes two cups, I heat one cup water in a saucepan. While it's heating, I add one cup water to a pint size jar, then the gravy mix (adding the water first makes mixing easier). Cover with lid and shake vigorously for a few seconds. Uncover and pour into the heating water while whisking. Perfectly smooth gravy in a minute.

Thumbs up.

April 7, 2016 Flag

I learned how to make homemade gravy from my Mom & Grandmother, and their gravy is what made the "Dinner." Whatever meat you have roasted, braised, browned and has some residue or drippings can be a base for gravy.

The Key to Great Homemade Gravy

December 21, 2007 Flag

I agree that good gravy must start with flour that is slowly browned in the pan drippings (fat only!) before adding your liquid to thicken. Another helpful hint when making really good gravy is to use a slotted spoon. It seems to keep the gravy from forming the lumps so many complain about. When almost ready, season well with salt and pepper using the "taste test" method. It takes more than you'd think! Gravy isn't difficult but takes time and patience, and then is oh so good!

By Maryann from Fort Lauderdale, FL

I add a little tamari or soy sauce to my gravy for color & taste.

Liz

I used my turkey drippings and then added a flour water mixture to the drippings. The gravy is not getting thick. I'm whisking the gravy over a low heat. What to do next?

February 22, 2011 Flag

The beauty of this recipe is that you can make it a day ahead; heat it back up on simmer in a saucepan and not have to be scrambling to make the gravy from the drippings at the last ditch minute ;-) This can be used for poultry or beef gravy.

Directions:

Melt butter with olive oil over medium heat in a medium saucepan, whisk in flour and stir until light brown.

Turn heat to medium high, gradually whisk in broth and bring to a boil, stirring frequently.

Reduce heat to low, add spices to taste and simmer 5 minutes, or until thickened to your liking.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

Seems good Deeli. Personally, I like to just open a can from Walmart. Tastes just as good to me.

Thanks

October 20, 2006 Flag

The key to having appealing looking brown gravy, rather than pale gravy, is to brown the flour you use to thicken the gravy. Brown the flour in a skillet before adding liquid.

November 24, 2009 Flag

When making your gravy with roux, always heat the stock, broth, milk or cream you are using before adding it to the hot roux. This prevents the clumping that can easily occur when making gravy.

November 21, 2008 Flag

How can I spruce up a gravy mix to taste "homemade"?

Cindy from Key West, FL

Thanks to all! I hope others also got a bit of 'gravy info'. I have been (for this year) making gravy for thirty or more years. Thanks again, Cindy

Hello,

I always make it with or without the drippings minus the grease. But to my gravy I add a can of cream of mushroom soup or cream of chicken soup. I have had so many compliments and men who request my gravy.

Good luck. Lori

October 19, 2004 Flag

Do not despair if you over salt gravy. Stir in some instant mashed potatoes to repair the damage. Just add a little more liquid in order to offset the thickening. By Peggy

December 17, 2008 Flag

How to cook gravy, as in chicken gravy, without grease or oil. Brown flour in skillet, add seasoning or bouillon cubes. Add enough water to make it thin as you like, let simmer about 1 minute. Tastes very good.

February 26, 2013 Flag

• 1 can cream of chicken ($1.00)
  • 1 cup chicken broth ($1.00)
  • 1 cut up chicken or pieces of your choice ($3.00)

1. Bake or roast chicken according to your taste.
  2. Empty can of cream of chicken soup into small pot. Add 1/2 to 1 cup chicken broth (depending on how thick you want your gravy)
  3. When chicken is finished cooking, pour the juice left in bottom of pan in with the soup/brother mixture and stir. Thicken as desired.

October 23, 2004 Flag

For quick thickener for gravies, add some instant potatoes to your gravy and it will thicken beautifully. By Peggy

October 26, 2013 Flag

I have a bad habit of adding too much corn starch or flour to my gravy. What could I do to eliminate the taste?

By Pauline from IN

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Instead of cornstarch, try adding butter, it thickens whilst leaving a nice taste. Or, add more liquid if you don't want to use butter.

June 18, 2004 Flag

Gravy can still be good for you, even breakfast to enjoy now and then without being so fattening. Just use broth instead of milk. Cut out the fat by mixing the flour with cold broth or some water and stir into broth when hot. It is really good gravy.

June 8, 2013 Flag

I love the rotisserie chickens my big box store offers.

Do you know how to create scrumptious gravy from these rotisserie chickens? I see the juices swimming in the bottom of the container, but my attempts for good gravy have been extremely disappointing.

Thank You in advance. :)

By Chris A.

When I make a roux for store bought chicken, I usually use the drippings as part of the water in the recipe. You get all the flavor of what ever they use in your gravy. We love the Lemon Chicken, so good.

April 17, 2008 Flag

Making gravy; I start with the drippings from a roast, chicken or pan fried meat and letting cook until all the liquid is vaporized and the meat juices are caramelized. Drain grease off; what's left are the caramelized juices.

Food and Recipes Food Tips Helpful HintsOctober 21, 2012
Homemade Gravy
Thickening Homemade Gravy
Photo of brown gravy on a turkey sandwich.
Homemade Brown Gravy Recipes
Turkey gravy in a gravy boat.
Making Turkey Gravy
🎉
🎄